Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org> on 2010/10/13 15:38:33 UTC

Import Bushel into Ivy

Hi all,

I would like to import the code of Bushel [1] into Ivy core.

On the technical part.
Bushel implement some special Ivy resolver and version matching which understand the different kind of OSGi dependency, and also understand the repository descriptor OBR (OSGi Bundle Repository). So the import will make those resolver part of Ivy core.

On the legal part.
The code has been developed under the ASL2 license and by only three developpers: Alex Radeski, Jérôme Benois and me. I have contacted the two others, they are joining me in this request and are willing to sign any software grant paper necessary.
As the code will be imported into Ivy, the "Bushel" name will then disappear. Ivy will then support some OSGi feature.

Deeper in the technical part.
As I explained here [2], Ivy cannot fulfill entirely the OSGi resolve specification. But I have managed to make resolve work and I think it can fill some requirement like making some transition from a ivy/maven based resolution mechanism to a pure OSGi based one. Or the reverse. With that respect, we shouldn't lure Ivy users to say that Ivy support OSGi and I suggest that we would flag at first it as "experimental". As users would start to try it, we will see real world case appear, and then we would then advise of its real state.
This might sound quite pessimistic, but I find this feature exiting enough to bring it into Ivy core.

WDYT ?

Nicolas

[1] http://code.google.com/p/bushel/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/bushel/wiki/IvyOsgiMapping

Re: Import Bushel into Ivy

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 18 oct. 2010 à 23:54, Maarten Coene a écrit :

> +1 for me. There is a chance I'm going to use OSGi @ work, so this could be a
> good test case :-)
>
> I've noticed the code is not JDK 1.4 compatible, but I guess it won't be a
> problem to downgrade it?
> Or maybe we should drop the JDK 1.4 requirement for Ivy, but I would rather not
> do that as long as Ant is also 1.4 compatible.

I prefer to keep Ivy JDK 1.4 compatible too, for the same reason. I'll downgrade the code.

Nicolas

Re: Import Bushel into Ivy

Re: Import Bushel into Ivy

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 2 nov. 2010 à 12:01, Nicolas Lalevée a écrit :

> Le 2 nov. 2010 à 10:41, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
>
>> On 2010-10-22, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
>>
>>> So now I need to fill the software grant and ask the two other Bushel
>>> committers to do so too.  And I would need somebody who has enough
>>> karma to help doing all the stuff about the Incubator's IP Clearance.
>>> Any volunteer ?
>>
>> OK, I bite.
>
> Thank you Stefan.
>
>> Please send in the grants if you haven't already done so and I'll start
>> with the Incubator PMC bits later this week.
>
> It is done for me and Alex. I haven't heard of Jérôme's.

And done for Jérôme too.

Every of the software grants have been sent to secretary and legal-archives by email, I have been in CC for every of them.
I have received an acknowledgement from Craig L Russell for only mine.

Nicolas

Re: Import Bushel into Ivy

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Re: Import Bushel into Ivy

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-10-22, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:

> So now I need to fill the software grant and ask the two other Bushel
> committers to do so too.  And I would need somebody who has enough
> karma to help doing all the stuff about the Incubator's IP Clearance.
> Any volunteer ?

OK, I bite.

Please send in the grants if you haven't already done so and I'll start
with the Incubator PMC bits later this week.

Stefan

Re: Import Bushel into Ivy

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Since there is no objection, I have started to prepare the import.

I have prepared the code to be imported and attached it here:

The code is just a zip of the svn branch here:
https://bushel.googlecode.com/svn/branches/apache-import/

When I was preparing the code, I have found files which are EPL licensed [1]. These files were imported from Eclipse cvs tree. They help implement the OSGi specification.
I have read carefully the Apache documentation about EPL compatibility with the ASL [2]:
* these .profile files are easily editable, not binary
* they related to the OSGi specification, but they are not enforced by the specification, it is only an implementation "helper".
So my conclusion is that they are not well suited for Apache inclusion. So I just removed them. I'll see in the Apache Felix community is they have such similar files.
If you think I am wrong, I will be happy to reinclude them after the import.

So now I need to fill the software grant and ask the two other Bushel committers to do so too.
And I would need somebody who has enough karma to help doing all the stuff about the Incubator's IP Clearance.
Any volunteer ?

thanks in advance,
Nicolas

[1] http://code.google.com/p/bushel/source/detail?r=133
[2] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

Re: Import Bushel into Ivy

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
  Hello Nicolas,

On 10/13/2010 9:38 AM, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to import the code of Bushel [1] into Ivy core.

+1

I attended a few sessions about OSGi at the last ApacheCon US and I am
interested by this technology as well.
> On the technical part.
> Bushel implement some special Ivy resolver and version matching which understand the different kind of OSGi dependency, and also understand the repository descriptor OBR (OSGi Bundle Repository). So the import will make those resolver part of Ivy core.
>
> On the legal part.
> The code has been developed under the ASL2 license and by only three developpers: Alex Radeski, Jérôme Benois and me. I have contacted the two others, they are joining me in this request and are willing to sign any software grant paper necessary.
> As the code will be imported into Ivy, the "Bushel" name will then disappear. Ivy will then support some OSGi feature.
>
> Deeper in the technical part.
> As I explained here [2], Ivy cannot fulfill entirely the OSGi resolve specification. But I have managed to make resolve work and I think it can fill some requirement like making some transition from a ivy/maven based resolution mechanism to a pure OSGi based one. Or the reverse. With that respect, we shouldn't lure Ivy users to say that Ivy support OSGi and I suggest that we would flag at first it as "experimental". As users would start to try it, we will see real world case appear, and then we would then advise of its real state. This might sound quite pessimistic, but I find this feature exciting enough to bring it into Ivy core.
A lot of innovations start that way, I see nothing wrong with this approach.

> WDYT ?
>
> Nicolas
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/bushel/
> [2] http://code.google.com/p/bushel/wiki/IvyOsgiMapping