Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2019/08/29 03:18:27 UTC

"Getting Started" with JAMES using Docker

I was preparing to do a trial run at getting James up and running on an
AWS EC2 instance.  I went to the James home page and saw there is a
1-line command to download and install it.  However, to use that one
line there is apparently an assumption of a full understanding of Docker
and a pre-existing installation of Docker.  Docker isn't automatically
installed with Amazon Linux in an EC2.  I was able to install it with
yum.  But when I entered the command from the JAMES getting started
page, this is what I got:

[ec2-user@ip-172-31-47-236 ~]$ docker run -p "25:25" -p "143:143"
linagora/james-jpa-sample:3.3.0
Unable to find image 'linagora/james-jpa-sample:3.3.0' locally
docker: Error response from daemon: manifest for
linagora/james-jpa-sample:3.3.0 not found.
See 'docker run --help'.

Since there's no url to download james, I assume that the manifest that
it is saying that it can't find contains all of that useful info.  I
know nothing about how Docker works.  Where would I find the missing
manifest, and if it was expected to automatically come with Docker as
implied with the "1-line-download-install" statement, what did I do wrong?

Thx

Jerry

Re: "Getting Started" with JAMES using Docker

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.
Hi Tellier,

Thanks for the response.  You're suggestion is a perfect solution.  Just
add the option to the quick start: if you know docker, do this way.  If
you want do it the traditional way, here's the steps.

Thanks.

Jerry

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.
Hi Jerry,

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.
Hi, Aleksanda,

Posted by Aleksandar Stoisavljevic <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jerry,

I understand your concern, don't get me wrong, I'm not connected to James
project. Just a subscriber to this list as you are.
However, I have experience in Java, and Docker lately so that was my reason
to jump in and to try to help you.

As I've assumed, probably outdated documentation.

Here you can find list of linagora Docker images:
https://hub.docker.com/r/linagora/james-jpa-sample/tags

I see now that there is 3.3.0 (built just 6 hrs ago).

Maybe you can try it now?

Thank You

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 4:38 PM Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> installed with Amazon Linux in an EC2.  I was able to install it with
> >> yum.  But when I entered the command from the JAMES getting started
> >> page, this is what I got:
> >>
> >> [ec2-user@ip-172-31-47-236 ~]$ docker run -p "25:25" -p "143:143"
> >> linagora/james-jpa-sample:3.3.0
> >> Unable to find image 'linagora/james-jpa-sample:3.3.0' locally
> >> docker: Error response from daemon: manifest for
> >> linagora/james-jpa-sample:3.3.0 not found.
> >> See 'docker run --help'.
> >>
> >> Since there's no url to download james, I assume that the manifest that
> >> it is saying that it can't find contains all of that useful info.  I
> >> know nothing about how Docker works.  Where would I find the missing
> >> manifest, and if it was expected to automatically come with Docker as
> >> implied with the "1-line-download-install" statement, what did I do

Aleksandar dipl. ing. Stoisavljevic
Java Software Architect
E-mail:staleks@gmail.com
SkypeId: staleks_ns
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/astoisavljevic
Web: http://staleks.github.io
Mail: Branislava Nusica 10, 21000 Novi Sad, Serbia

Re: "Getting Started" with JAMES using Docker

Posted by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.

Posted by Aleksandar Stoisavljevic <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jerry,