Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "suri.jagadish" <ja...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/14 17:05:45 UTC

website hosting

Hi

I need to host a website using the tomcat Webserver

How do I configure the tomcat for the default port  80 for answering the
http request for the ip address in the net

I had already done it using (Microsoft) IIS.

Re: website hosting

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Just to add my two cents to this -- you can use jsvc from the
commons-daemon project to start Tomcat with root long enough to get port
80 and then drop root for normal run.

Running Apache in front of Tomcat adds an extra layer of complexity and
more processing.  Take a look at what you need and if the extra layer is
really worth it before putting up Apache in front of Tomcat.  For a site
that's mostly dynamic and lots of decision making, just use Tomcat w/
jsvc and drop Apache altogether.

--David

Lutz Zetzsche wrote:

>Hi Tomislav,
>
>Am Sonntag, 15. Mai 2005 16:10 schrieb t.n.a.:
>

>>Lutz Zetzsche wrote:
>>

>>>As regards performance, running Apache in front of Tomcat is not
>>>preferable. A standalone Tomcat is faster than a Tomcat behind an
>>>Apache.
>>>

>>I'm not speaking from my own experiance, but I've done some reading
>>some time ago and the best practice I've found is to have apache
>>serve static content because it's faster and comes with a whole lot
>>of modules and have Tomcat serve the dynamic content - don't know if
>>we're talking about the same thing.
>>

>Well, what I mean is that Tomcat can serve dynamic content faster if it
>runs standalone so that the requests are directly handled and the pages
>are directly served by Tomcat.
>
>Also, the gap between Tomcat and Apache is closing as regards the
>performance in serving static content.
>
>Here are a few pros and cons for the Apache-Tomcat combination:
>
>	http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/connectors.html#integrate
>
>My personal point of view is that I would always try to avoid to run a
>Tomcat behind an Apache, as this can sometimes significantly impair the
>performance when serving dynamic content from Tomcat.
>

>Best wishes
>
>Lutz

=======================================
David Smith
Network Operations Supervisor
Department of Entomology
College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Cornell University
2132 Comstock Hall
Ithaca, NY  14853
Phone: 607.255.9571
Fax: 607.255.0939

Re: website hosting

Posted by Mark <el...@gmail.com>.
I read the link, and was curious as to what your opinion is when
running Tomcat over SSL.  I put Apache in front of Tomcat when SSL is
required.

TIA...
Mark

Re: website hosting

Posted by Lutz Zetzsche <Lu...@sea-rescue.de>.
Hi Tomislav,

Re: website hosting

Posted by "t.n.a." <tn...@sharanet.org>.
Lutz Zetzsche wrote:

>As regards performance, running Apache in front of Tomcat is not
>preferable. A standalone Tomcat is faster than a Tomcat behind an
>Apache.

I'm not speaking from my own experiance, but I've done some reading some
time ago and the best practice I've found is to have apache serve static
content because it's faster and comes with a whole lot of modules and
have Tomcat serve the dynamic content - don't know if we're talking
about the same thing.

Regards,
Tomislav

Re: website hosting

Posted by Lutz Zetzsche <Lu...@sea-rescue.de>.
Am Samstag, 14. Mai 2005 18:47 schrieb t.n.a.:
> Basically, I haven't heard once someone suggest you run it directly
> on
> :80 for a number of reasons (run as root, performance, availability
> : of modules etc.).

As regards performance, running Apache in front of Tomcat is not
preferable. A standalone Tomcat is faster than a Tomcat behind an
Apache.

I still prefer to run Tomcat as non-root on port 8080 locally,
satisfying security needs, and to set up a redirection rule in the
firewall for requests on port 80 from remote.

Best wishes

Lutz

Re: website hosting

Posted by "t.n.a." <tn...@sharanet.org>.
suri.jagadish wrote:

>Hi
>

>I need to host a website using the tomcat Webserver
>

>How do I configure the tomcat for the default port  80 for answering the
>http request for the ip address in the net
>

>I had already done it using (Microsoft) IIS.

Don't know if you want to hear this, but you might want to use Apache
and mod_jk. :)
Basically, I haven't heard once someone suggest you run it directly on
:80 for a number of reasons (run as root, performance, availability of
modules etc.).

Tomislav Nakic-Alfirevic
Netgen Ltd. www.netgen.hr
Rudeska 172/3
10000 Zagreb, Croatia
tel.: +385 1 387 97 22
fax.: +385 1 387 97 24

Re: website hosting

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.
On 5/14/05, Lutz Zetzsche <Lu...@sea-rescue.de> wrote:
> Hi Suri,
>
> Am Samstag, 14. Mai 2005 17:05 schrieb suri.jagadish:
> > How do I configure the tomcat for the default port  80 for answering
> > the http request for the ip address in the net
>
> It is not recommended to run Tomcat as root. If you would configure to
> listen to port 80 instead of port 8080, you would need to run Tomcat as
> root because ports below 1024 require root privileges.

Considering the OP mentioned IIS in his post I think it is safe to
assume that he is running Tomcat on Windows so you don't need root
privileges to open port 80, although Windows Services are run under
LocalSystem by default so I recommend changing that to a more locked
down user.

Unless you have a specialized need there really isn't much reason to
put Tomcat behind Apache with mod_jk, there used to be good reason for
serving static content but with the Coyote connector Tomcat can keep
pace with Tomcat fairly well and even outpace it in some areas. The
added configuration and maintenace it introduces isn't worth it unless
you need it and if you do need it then you're going to know it before
asking.

REgards,
--
Jason Bainbridge
http://kde.org - webmaster@kde.org

Re: website hosting

Posted by Lutz Zetzsche <Lu...@sea-rescue.de>.
Hi Suri,

Am Samstag, 14. Mai 2005 17:05 schrieb suri.jagadish:
> How do I configure the tomcat for the default port  80 for answering
> the http request for the ip address in the net

It is not recommended to run Tomcat as root. If you would configure to
listen to port 80 instead of port 8080, you would need to run Tomcat as
root because ports below 1024 require root privileges.

There are several ways to achieve, that Tomcat can be reached on port 80
from outside although it is running on port 8080 locally. The way which
I prefer is to setup a rule in the firewall of the machine redirecting
incoming request for port 80 to port 8080.

Best wishes

Lutz

Re: website hosting

Posted by Barry Kimelman <bk...@sympatico.ca>.
Go to the directory where Tomcat is installed.

Under the Tomcat directory there will be a "conf" sub-directory.
In the "conf" directory there will be a "server.xml" file.
In the "server.xml" file you can configure many aspects of Tomcat, including
the port on which Tomcat listens.

Barry Kimelman
Toronto, Ontario, Canada