Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2003/12/04 00:13:11 UTC

RSS: Read all about it...

Ok,

I've validated the RSS I'm generating (using a service I found via Google,
but has a familiar name on it: http://feedvalidator.org/) and although it
found one nit [fixed in CVS], I'm posting this now:

[BTW: The nit was a date nit:
http://feedvalidator.org/check?url=http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.rss]

Basically Gump outputs RSS in the following manner:

1) Workspace ./index.rss (e.g. http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.rss)

This contains projects that have successed or failed for the 1st time in a
sequence (a sequence is stoerd in the DB.) This is a good channel for
Gumpeisters (like Stefan) who have broad interests.

2) Module ./{moduleName}/index.rss (e.g.
http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/ant/index.rss)

This contains all projects within the module, the latest news (suceed or
fail).

3) Project ./{moduleName}/{projectName}.rss (e.g.
http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/ant/ant.rss)

This contains the latest news for the project (suceed or fail).

So:

1) I've tried this from FeedDemon (www.bradsoft.com) but I'd like to hear
feedback from other using other readers.
2) I am still working on the content, all content feedback welcomed. I'm
considering going to HTML next.
3) I don't think I can figure out auto-discovery throw forrest (setting
links in the HTML header.) Any forresters know the answer?
4) All ideas on topics and pings and such welcomed....
5) All input appreciated...

regards

Adam
--
Experience the Unwired Enterprise:
http://www.sybase.com/unwiredenterprise

Re: RSS: Read all about it...

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:

> please keep monitoring it & let me know if it works well, or not.

Sure.

Right now the (Ant module) RSS feed says ant-testutil Unset 2003-12-05
while the linked HTML page says State: Success.

Stefan

Re: RSS: Read all about it...

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> > 2) I am still working on the content, all content feedback
> > welcomed.
>
> Well, right now it says "Success Not Set" - what does that mean?
> Could we make the message a little more descriptive?

For each project (and module) I create a feed item, that item (will improve
as HTML) contains:

   Item Name:    e.g.    Ant
   Item Description :     Blah blah

    (Soon I'll add image and site URL here)

    state        :    e.g.    Success
    reason     :    e.g.    Unset (or state=Failed, reason=Missing Build
Outputs)

Plus:

    'Annotations' -- a table of the on object 'log' of info/warning/error
messages
    'Work Items' -- the state/type/name (e.g. build). w/ URL (link) to WWW
page.

If the state is unset (a partial build) or packaged or something I do add
the item to the project and module level channels, but not the workspace
level one. If the state changes (bad to good, good to bad) & 'sequence in
state = 1' (i.e. new change) I add it to the workspace level channel..

In short, 'Success Not Set' = state/reason & I need to omit the reason if
unset.

Thanks for trying it, please keep monitoring it & let me know if it works
well, or not.

regards

Adam

Re: RSS: Read all about it...

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:

> 1) I've tried this from FeedDemon (www.bradsoft.com) but I'd like to
> hear feedback from other using other readers.

Works fine with AmphetaDesk.

Subscribed 8-)

Re: RSS: Read all about it...

Posted by Sebastian Bazley <Se...@london.sema.slb.com>.
Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>Basically Gump outputs RSS in the following manner:
>
>1) Workspace ./index.rss (e.g. http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.rss)

Love it

To be userfull to google and technorati and the mailing list the links
ie the gump results  REALLY needed to be dated
So that people can comment about a gump event in there blog, us
trackbacks  etc.
How many MByts of HTML does a full gump run produce ?

Re: RSS (Atom still work in progress) Read all about it...

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
All,

Sometimes the volume of data produce by Gump overwhelms me, and certain
simple bug fixes take far long than they ought. The 'sequence in state'
counter (reset to 1 on a change) was being calculated, but wasn't being
stored in the stats DB correctly, so never incremented past one. As such all
the optimisation I did to RSS/Atom generation (to only put out newsworthy
events) was for nought, feeds were overly verbose. I've fixed that now, and
we ought see only meaningful stuff in the feeds.

Register this URL for all build events

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/index.rss

Alternatively pick:

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/{moduleName}/index.rss for you module of