Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/20 12:49:30 UTC

[graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - new version

Guys,

after some discussion back and forth with Thien we've decided on the
next version:

- the masthead is adjusted to improve the display of the search box and
the apache feather when resizing.
- the green blocks are better at the center than on the side.
- we've added a prominent download block with the latest Cocoon version.
- the page curl is gone. ;-)
- the navbar below the masthead now has a "home" icon that would go to
the home page of the PMC site, while the "Cocoon Core 2.2" would go to
the home page of the current block.
- we've added older versions at the bottom of the menu
- a flag is added for the French version (now that I think of it, that
would only be applicable for the PMC site)
- the color of the note at the bottom is changed

Note that when resizing to 800x600 the "News" section will creep up in
the space between the blocks and the "About" box on the right. It might
not be elegant, but it's better than the alternative of variable width
blocks.

We've discussed the possibility of changing the design of the Cocoon 2.1
website to this new design and most of you decided against it. Fine by
me, but I think the PMC site should be definitely changed to this new
design.

All in all I think this design looks very good.

If you agree, I would like to go on and ask Thien for further restyling
of elements we're currently missing such as tables, code snippets,
images + captions and warnings. Please add other elements if I forgot some.

Bye, Helma

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - new version

Posted by Simone Gianni <si...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:
> Guys,
>
> after some discussion back and forth with Thien we've decided on the
> next version:
Very nice, a great work!!

Anyway, I also agree that the green bar on the top is a bit detached and
could get ignored, but I'm too poor in graphics to suggest a change that
could solve it :(

Simone

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - new version

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 2/20/07, hepabolu <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All in all I think this design looks very good.

+1, looks great!

-Bertrand

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - new version

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Thanks Helma and Thien. You've been doing a great work!
>
> I am not sure if the comment is correct right now, but, just a small
> reminder:
>
> http://producingoss.com/html-chunk/getting-started.html#state-freedom

Thanks Antonio. I will think about how/where to add the information as soon as I
work on the documentation again.

Any suggestions?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - new version

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Thanks Helma and Thien. You've been doing a great work!

I am not sure if the comment is correct right now, but, just a small
reminder:

http://producingoss.com/html-chunk/getting-started.html#state-freedom

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 2/20/07, hepabolu <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> after some discussion back and forth with Thien we've decided on the
> next version:

<snip>much goodness</snip>

This is really nice.  One minor thing; the green bar on the top that
has the breadcrumb trail looks very detached from the rest of the
design, I guess partially because of the shadow. So much so that
people used to seeing things like "browser pop up blocked" messages
showing up in the same area and in almost the same way might not
notice it.  I'm not sure what to suggest as an alternative, perhaps
the color should not be so contrasting or perhaps not so much relief
between the green and the blue area or perhaps even moving it?

Other than that I still wish the blocks weren't so pastel, but I guess
that's just me...

--
Peter Hunsberger

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - new version

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 2/23/07, Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> wrote:

> ...I think you can remove the french flag on the right...

> ...I think just adding users-fr@ subscribe/archives
> information on the mailing-list page would be good enough.

Same opinion here.

-Bertrand

RE: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - new version

Posted by Jeroen Reijn <j....@hippo.nl>.
It's getting better each time. I agree that the green bar at the top is floating a bit in space and does not really fit into the page right now. Maybe a little shade underneath the bar should make it fit into the page. I now notice that it has a bit of a shader on the right, but not on the left.

I really like what you guys did with the teasers. Especially the download button which directly draws the attention which is imho a very strong point.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Jeroen Reijn

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:
> Guys,
>
> after some discussion back and forth with Thien we've decided on the
> next version:

<snip/>

Getting nicer and nicer!

I think you can remove the french flag on the right: the french pages we
have on the website only translate the main "what is Cocoon" blurb and
introduce the french-speaking mailing list. Unless somebody feels the
itch to maintain this, I think just adding users-fr@ subscribe/archives
information on the mailing-list page would be good enough.

Sylvain

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
hepabolu wrote:
> but I think the PMC site should be definitely changed to this new
> design.

Of course.

> All in all I think this design looks very good.

+1

Vadim

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - new version

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Jorg Heymans wrote:
> hepabolu wrote:
>

>> All in all I think this design looks very good.
>
> Looks *very* nice, thanks for the work!!
>

> My comments:
>
> - The 'what is cocoon' and 'what are blocks' text is quite prominent and
> important info, but i don't get that impression from their position on
> the page. I find that column of text quite hard to read through fluently
> because of it's narrow layout.

I think that we can shorten the two texts too which will make it easier to read.

> - for the menu on the left, would it make sense to merge 'How to
> contribute' and 'How to contribute documentation' into one item 'How to
> contribute' (and subsequently make the distinction between contributions
> on the content page).
> Same for 'Communication tools we use' and 'Other tools we use' => 'Tools
> we use' and again make the distinction on the content page.

Makes sense.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - new version

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:

> All in all I think this design looks very good.

Looks *very* nice, thanks for the work!!

My comments:

- The 'what is cocoon' and 'what are blocks' text is quite prominent and
important info, but i don't get that impression from their position on
the page. I find that column of text quite hard to read through fluently
because of it's narrow layout.

- for the menu on the left, would it make sense to merge 'How to
contribute' and 'How to contribute documentation' into one item 'How to
contribute' (and subsequently make the distinction between contributions
on the content page).
Same for 'Communication tools we use' and 'Other tools we use' => 'Tools
we use' and again make the distinction on the content page.

Thanks,
Jorg

Re: [graphics] Artwork for cocoon.apache.org - new version

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
you forgot to add the link, but it wasn't too hard to guess ;-)

http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final3.html

hepabolu wrote:
> Guys,
>
> after some discussion back and forth with Thien we've decided on the
> next version:
>
> - the masthead is adjusted to improve the display of the search box and
> the apache feather when resizing.
> - the green blocks are better at the center than on the side.
> - we've added a prominent download block with the latest Cocoon version.
> - the page curl is gone. ;-)
> - the navbar below the masthead now has a "home" icon that would go to
> the home page of the PMC site, while the "Cocoon Core 2.2" would go to
> the home page of the current block.
> - we've added older versions at the bottom of the menu
> - a flag is added for the French version (now that I think of it, that
> would only be applicable for the PMC site)
> - the color of the note at the bottom is changed
>
> Note that when resizing to 800x600 the "News" section will creep up in
> the space between the blocks and the "About" box on the right. It might
> not be elegant, but it's better than the alternative of variable width
> blocks.

I don't think that 800x600 is something that we really have to care about.
Anyway, doesn't a break before the news solve it?

> We've discussed the possibility of changing the design of the Cocoon 2.1
> website to this new design and most of you decided against it. Fine by
> me, but I think the PMC site should be definitely changed to this new
> design.
>
> All in all I think this design looks very good.

yes it does!!!

> If you agree, I would like to go on and ask Thien for further restyling
> of elements we're currently missing such as tables, code snippets,
> images + captions and warnings. Please add other elements if I forgot some.

thanks again to both of you!

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc