Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Dmitry Pavlenko <pa...@tmatesoft.com> on 2012/07/17 14:10:31 UTC

"svnlook dirs-changed" on empty repository fails with a strange error

Hello,

If one runs "svnlook dirs-changed" on an empty repository, svn prints a strange error (reproducible
for versions from 1.6 to trunk):

$ svnadmin create svn.repo
$ svnlook dirs-changed svn.repo/
svnlook: E160006: Transaction '(null)' is not based on a revision; how odd
$ svnlook dirs-changed svn.repo/ -r0
svnlook: E160006: Transaction '(null)' is not based on a revision; how odd

The question is: what behaviour is expected? Daniel supposed that "svnlook dirs-changed" should exit
with an error.

http://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_log/svn-dev?date=2012-07-16#l90

 But also I heard another opinion that as r0 is always empty (is that true?), svnlook should just
show no changes. (If r0 can contain some directories, svnlook could display those directories from
r0). I agree with the second opinion.

Re: "svnlook dirs-changed" on empty repository fails with a strange error

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
On 07/17/2012 10:02 AM, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Bah.  There's no need for an error.  The user didn't do anything wrong.
> 'svnlook dirs-changed' prints which directories were changed in a given
> revision.  For revision 0 (which is a real snapshot), nothing was changed,
> so just print nothing and exit successfully, just as we would for any other
> no-op revision.

CMD> location_of($my_money) == location_of($my_mouth)
True
CMD> location_of($my_money)
r1362508
CMD> exit
Have a nice day, Quickdraw!
$

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>
CollabNet   <>   www.collab.net   <>   Enterprise Cloud Development

Re: "svnlook dirs-changed" on empty repository fails with a strange error

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.