Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Nitin S <ns...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/17 21:20:43 UTC

S3 Storage Plugin - IAM roles support

Hello,

I am trying to setup drill in distributed mode and access some parquet
files in S3. The instructions here:
https://drill.apache.org/docs/s3-storage-plugin/  do not provide any info
on what to do if we are using IAM roles for S3 (instead of static keys)

Kindly advise how to set that up.

Thanks,
Nitin

Re: S3 Storage Plugin - IAM roles support

Posted by Nitin S <ns...@gmail.com>.
After spending a day or two, I found the solution to the issue. We need to
add the following snippet in the core-site.xml

<property>
  <name>fs.s3a.aws.credentials.provider</name>
  <value>com.amazonaws.auth.InstanceProfileCredentialsProvider</value>
</property>

This explicitly tells drill to use that mode of fetching credentials
instead of relying on env variables or explicit access keys.

I would recommend adding it to the official document so that other folks
can benefit from this. If there is a way to do it myself, let me know (I
can raise a pull request etc  too)

Thanks,
Nitin

Posted by Nitin S <ns...@gmail.com>.