Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com> on 2013/11/05 23:48:53 UTC

[jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

There are two basic ways to install Chef to run Chef Solo: manually installing the Chef gems, or using the Omnibus installer.

Installing Chef should be a prerequisite for running the ChefSolo statement, and not part/dependency of the statement itself. This will decouple the Solo execution from the way Chef is installed and also allows to customize the installation (for example by configuring a concrete Chef gem version, etc).
You can merge this Pull Request by running:

  git pull https://github.com/nacx/jclouds 365-solo-deps

Or you can view, comment on it, or merge it online at:

  https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196

-- Commit Summary --

  * JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems

-- File Changes --

    M scriptbuilder/src/main/java/org/jclouds/scriptbuilder/statements/chef/ChefSolo.java (23)
    M scriptbuilder/src/test/java/org/jclouds/scriptbuilder/statements/chef/ChefSoloTest.java (32)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196.patch
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196.diff

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
@noorul Moved the typo fix to a different commit so everything will look nice in the commit history.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-27858166

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by Andrew Phillips <no...@github.com>.
Looks good - please squash'n'rebase!

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-28258037

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-java-7-pull-requests #840](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-java-7-pull-requests/840/) SUCCESS
This pull request looks good

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-28257561

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by Noorul Islam K M <no...@github.com>.
I see a positive use case here https://gist.github.com/nacx/7317938

I think the purpose of the patch is to make ChefSolo statement independent of Chef installation.

If ChefSolo statement is already being consumed by someone and assumes that it takes care of installing Chef then that will be broken now. Apart from that I don't see a problem.

@nacx There is a reference to InstallChefGem under author tag. Is that required?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-28093577

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
@demobox added the check and live tested using the mentioned gist.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-28256662

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-java-7-pull-requests #841](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-java-7-pull-requests/841/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-28277103

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-java-7-pull-requests #832](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-java-7-pull-requests/832/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-27823175

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-pull-requests #377](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-pull-requests/377/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-28257566

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by Andrew Phillips <no...@github.com>.
Should we have some kind of "prerequisite check" here, or will things fail with an obvious error message if we try to run Solo _without_ Chef now?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-28088996

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
>If ChefSolo statement is already being consumed by someone and assumes that it takes care of installing Chef then that will be broken now. Apart from that I don't see a problem.

The workaround is trivial, just adding declare the InstallChefGems to the script, so I think we can just ignore this.

>There is a reference to InstallChefGem under author tag.

They are not required, but are related classes, I think it is appropriate to have them there.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-28094324

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by Andrew Phillips <no...@github.com>.
> This is something that will fail when running the bootstrap script with a `Command not found: chef-solo.`

OK. I think that should be fine, but would it be easy to amend that to add something like "Unable to find chef-solo -please install Chef"?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-28105325

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by BuildHive <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds ยป jclouds #597](https://buildhive.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds/job/jclouds/597/) SUCCESS
This pull request looks good
[(what's this?)](https://www.cloudbees.com/what-is-buildhive)

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-28278058

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-pull-requests #371](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-pull-requests/371/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-27859940

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
Sure @demobox! It is worth adding a command existence check before running the script. Will update the PR today (I hope).

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-28216000

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-java-7-pull-requests #834](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-java-7-pull-requests/834/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-27859928

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-pull-requests #369](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-pull-requests/369/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-27823164

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-pull-requests #378](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-pull-requests/378/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-28276927

Re: [jclouds] JCLOUDS-365: ChefSolo should not depend on InstallChefGems (#196)

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <no...@github.com>.
This is something that will fail when running the bootstrap script with a `Command not found: chef-solo`.

The prerequisite is to have Chef installed (via the gem or the Omnibus installer), but I think that should not be a precondition of the script, as the image being deployed could already have Chef installed. It should be up to the user to choose if Chef should be installed and how that should be done.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/196#issuecomment-28093485