Posted to dev@community.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/02 12:33:47 UTC

New mailing list for discussion of ComDev code (projects, reporter etc)

I wonder if there should be a separate mailing list for discussion of
the code for which ComDev is responsible.

For example, Projects, Reporter, HelpWanted

This would normally be the dev@ list, but that has long since been
used for general ASF community discussion, so it's too late to change
that.

Maybe code@ or tools@ or something else?

S.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 1:34 PM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Maybe code@ or tools@ or something else?...

Considering that few of the comdev folks are currently active in that
area, isn't there a risk to increase that fragmentation?

Another option would be to move those bits of code to GitHub if they
aren't there yet, mostly use issues and PRs to discuss things there
and send regular updates or calls for help here with a [code] subject
line tag.

-Bertrand

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 3/2/19 7:33 AM, sebb wrote:
> I wonder if there should be a separate mailing list for discussion of
> the code for which ComDev is responsible.
>
> For example, Projects, Reporter, HelpWanted
>
> This would normally be the dev@ list, but that has long since been
> used for general ASF community discussion, so it's too late to change
> that.
>
> Maybe code@ or tools@ or something else?

This seems to be solving a problem we don't actually have. When's the
last time we had a discussion of those projects?

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
http://rcbowen.com/

Posted by "sroffromen@gmail.com" <sr...@gmail.com>.
Apps Account,awww.asus.application

Sent from my ASUS

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
sebb wrote on 3/2/19 7:33 AM:
> I wonder if there should be a separate mailing list for discussion of
> the code for which ComDev is responsible.
>
> For example, Projects, Reporter, HelpWanted
>
> This would normally be the dev@ list, but that has long since been
> used for general ASF community discussion, so it's too late to change
> that.
>
> Maybe code@ or tools@ or something else?

+1, I'd guess code@ but I don't have strong opinions on the name.  But
given the extra-distributed nature of the tools (several different
codebases) and scattered volunteers, being able to focus on specific
technical issues separately would be very helpful.

  https://community.apache.org/newbiefaq.html#comdevweb

Side question: why has moderation let so much spam through to this list
recently?

--

- Shane
  PMC & Member