Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Joe Fawzy <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/17 19:29:46 UTC

Conversation scope in wicket

Hi alli need to implement something like a conversation scope in wicket
i know that wicket is stateful by default and i can pass object o from page
A -> page B
But if Object o in page A which -> page B -> page C -> page D -> page E
and i need Object o in page E ,that will be very tedious to pass o all
throught the way from A ----> ..E
also if i need to pass a large number of objects between a set of pages
,this will be a nightmare

so How can i implement a Conversation object ala Session and store these
objects there

i thought of using the IPageMap as a key in this situation as it represent
an open browser window or tab ie. conversation, but in a previous mail ,i
've been tald that it cannot be extended easily, and i cannot provide my own
factory for one

so, any ideas about the conversation scope?
what do u think about the pageMap ? will it work? is it reliable?
can the core team provide some hooks to implement something like
IPageMapFactory?

thanks
Joe

Re: Conversation scope in wicket

Posted by Joe Fawzy <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Igor

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 8:58 PM, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>wrote:

> class mysession extends websesison {
>  private map<string, map<object,object>> coversations;
>
>  public map<object,object> getconversation(ipagemap pmap) {
>        return conversations.get(pmap.getid());
>  }
> }

in your last code line , do you mean pmap.getName() instead of pmap.getId()
as i cannot find a public getId() in ipagemap

thanks
Joe

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Carl-Eric Menzel
<cm...@users.bitforce.com> wrote:
> > The idea of a "conversation" has been around for a long time.  It's
> > called a stateful session bean.
>
> You have a point there. But I think this is all provided by Wicket
> already - You have components and models that perfectly encapsulate all
> this. Basically this is about the lifecycle of the data needed for a
> unit of work from the user's point of view. If you have a flow of
> pages, or wizard steps, or whatever, you have a defined starting point
> where you can, for example, create a model. And then you go to the next
> step and pass this model along. Once you're finished, you just drop the
> references.
>
> Or am I missing something here?

Yes, Wicket does have great support for stateful programming.  That's
why I love Wicket!  However, if I can run Wicket inside a "container"
that supports JSR-299 and I can have my web beans injected into my
Wicket components/pages as proxies so that I'm always talking to the
right bean at the right time and I don't have to worry about all that
state crap (at least in the web tier), then I think that's a big win.

Posted by Carl-Eric Menzel <cm...@users.bitforce.com>.
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:10:33 -0400
James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Carl-Eric Menzel
> <cm...@users.bitforce.com> wrote:
> > Then you already have an object that your components can work on.
> > Put that in a Wicket model and enjoy. My point is this: You either
> > have existing business code that supports conversations - then you
> > don't need Wicket conversations, you need to write your components
> > so they work with the existing code's notion of a conversation.
>
> Wicket needs to understand when it needs to resume a previously-begun
> conversation.  The business logic can't know that by itself.  The UI
> has to provide a bit of help.

Yes of course. That's what I meant by "write your components so they
work with your existing code".

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Carl-Eric Menzel <cm...@users.bitforce.com>.
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 07:21:36 -0400
James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> > I fully agree. Conversation scope is a kludge for a broken model,
> > and in the end nothing more than a specialized form of global
> > variables.
>
> To which model are you referring?

Not a model in the Wicket sense, but the model of application
development where you throw everything into a big bag (e.g. the
session, or any other such scope).

> > Just put your state into the appropriate page or component instances
> > and/or models, and you get *any* scope you need, for free.
>
> Your business logic might not know anything about page/component
> instances, but it may support "conversations."

Then you already have an object that your components can work on. Put
that in a Wicket model and enjoy. My point is this: You either have
existing business code that supports conversations - then you don't need
Wicket conversations, you need to write your components so they work
with the existing code's notion of a conversation.

Or you don't have a "business" conversation, and the whole conversation
thing is just something for UI workflow. Then you should not have it in
the business code. Instead, write components and models so that they
keep all the state they need for this "conversation" where they need
it. I don't think there needs to be a special abstraction for this,
you'd be much better off with keeping state as appropriate for your use
case.

I may have been unclear in my earlier message, does this make more
sense?

Carl-Eric

Re: Conversation scope in wicket

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Carl-Eric Menzel <cm...@users.bitforce.com>.
+1

I fully agree. Conversation scope is a kludge for a broken model, and in
the end nothing more than a specialized form of global variables.

Just put your state into the appropriate page or component instances
and/or models, and you get *any* scope you need, for free.

Carl-Eric

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
+1

that whole api like beginConversation, end etc
just looks to me like set/get methods on session.
Or and that is in my eyes better is to transport the conversation object (1
object not many) from 1 page to the next
or use as below 1 page and just replace panels. And then the page model
object is the conversation object

johan

Posted by svenmeier <sv...@meiers.net>.

Posted by Joe Fawzy <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi alli am working on a prototype which i think will convince you that
conversation is an important concept, it is very onject oriented as wicket
is and has many use cases

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>wrote:

> you are free to implement this as an open source addition to wicket.
> there is wicketstuff or googlecode or sf.net where you can host it.
>
> wicket is a ui framework and conversational scope management falls
> outside wicket's scope. it is our job to provide the hooks to make
> such things possible, not to provide an implementation.

yes, u r right, wicket can'nt be everything for everyone ,but the question
is how much this hook thing is the responsibility of wicket
do you really think wicket is only ui framework?with no scopes.... so why u
support sessions? conversation is much like sessions, it is just narrowwer

Thanks
Joe

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
#1, I didn't know about it.  #2, I wanted to get familiar with
JSR-299, so having to write an integration is a pretty good way to get
"down and dirty." :)

Posted by Joe Fawzy <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi dearfirst of all, why add another dependency,just for conversation
handling, while we have in wicket a strong ground for it
note: jsr299 is a big spec with a somehow complex lifecycle(which may not be
compatible with that of wicket) and really complicated bean resolution
strategy

second: wicket components are not 299 beans, wicket is an unmanaged
framework , u must create the components urself, not by the framework, which
is a requirement for jsr299
what can be done with web beans, is to inject its objects in wicket
components BUT u cannot manage wicket components as web beans , and for
example inject them or handle there lifecycle

Joe

Posted by janneru <ja...@googlemail.com>.
hi james&joe,

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Joe Fawzy <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
I will.  I'm just keeping notes on what all listeners I'd like to see. :)

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
jira it up.

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.