Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Avijit Basak <av...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/12 15:19:55 UTC

Re: [Vote] Create a "machine learning" component

Hi

         Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for your patience. Please
find my comments below:

 (1) Why not Spark?  [At least post over there (?).]
      --We can move to Spark. But it will be very much useful if the things
can also run without Spark. The use of Spark would make more sense in a
production environment. But the portability of the library will be more
useful for the non-prod environment. Definitely, we can reach the Spark
team and query.
 (2) Further develop a monolithic CM?  [Who will do it?]
       --I can help with the upgrade of the existing library related to GA
functionality.
 (3) Modularize CM? [Who will do it?]
       --I can help with the upgrade of the existing library related to GA
functionality.
 (4) New component (with another name) with the proposed contents?
       --This is the best option if permitted.

      The code which I have written can be reused with minor modifications.
So it won't take too much effort for this activity.
      Kindly share further thoughts.

Thanks & Regards
--Avijit Basak

Avijit Basak

Re: [Vote] Create a "machine learning" component

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Le mar. 20 avr. 2021 à 16:09, Avijit Basak <av...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi
>
>           > Did you ask "Spark" people about their opinion about it?
>             -- Not yet. I am not sure what would be the right option for
> this communication. It will be good if you can approach them.

You are the one who proposes a functionality that might be of interest
to the "Spark" project, perhaps on some condition on their part which
*you* are going to have to accept (or not).

In other words: It would be useless that *I* go and tell them there exist
some code in Commons Math which they could take an adapt for their
project (they can always do that).
What might be of value to them (as to the Commons project, too), is a
contributor willing to do the necessary work to create or improve a
community-supported feature.

>           > where it can be used in real-life (performance-wise)
> applications, then you should demonstrate it
>             -- Do we have any kind of performance benchmark or use case
> regarding this?

Please assume that *you* are the person with the most GA expertise
in this forum.
There certainly are unit tests for the GA functionality, but I don't think
there are benchmarks; certainly, one task would be to set up a module
for (JMH-based) experimentation.

> Once that is decided,

One mantra of ASF communities is that "those who do the work get
to decide".
[The PMC can decide (by vote) whether to accept a new component;
but it's up to you to show that it's worth it (with the risk that the PMC
won't accurately judge the contribution, unfortunately)...]

> then I can proceed with this.

There is already a long list of things that can be done.

You don't *have* to contact "Spark" if you don't feel that it's the
right project for your work.  You could just hope for the best, and
start somewhere else (modularization of Commons Math, a fork
on GitHub of of CM ML-related codes, and so on).

The one thing which I won't be helping with is merging ad-hoc
GA-related changes into the current CM codebase.
This doesn't preclude that other committers might want to do that
for you; however judging by the last 5 years, I wouldn't count too
much on it. ;-)

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by Avijit Basak <av...@gmail.com>.
Hi

          > Did you ask "Spark" people about their opinion about it?
            -- Not yet. I am not sure what would be the right option for
this communication. It will be good if you can approach them.
          > where it can be used in real-life (performance-wise)
applications, then you should demonstrate it
            -- Do we have any kind of performance benchmark or use case
regarding this? Once that is decided, then I can proceed with this.

Thanks & Regards
--Avijit Basak

On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 at 18:51, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Le lun. 19 avr. 2021 à 08:35, Avijit Basak <av...@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > >Isn't a GA inherently parallel?
> > >If so, why not take advantage of the concurrency tools provided by the
> JDK?
> >   -- Are we planning to implement multi-threading for GA operations even
> as
> > part of a single population
>
> This seems an obvious improvement to our current implementation
> (in case a chromosome's evaluation is not population-dependent).
>
> > or only for multi-population parallel GA.
> >   -- We can implement different types of co-evolution as part of parallel
> > GA. Need to decide on the corresponding strategies we are going to
> > incorporate.
>
> The discussion is still about the "administrative" question of whether
> any of this should be implemented in the "Commons" project...
>
> Did you ask "Spark" people about their opinion about it?
>
> As I said, if you are confident that you can bring our implementation to
> a state where it can be used in real-life (performance-wise) applications,
> then you should demonstrate it (in order to convince other people from
> the Commons PMC that it is worth engaging in long-term maintenance).
> AFAICT, a way to do it would be to create a GitHub project (aimed at
> becoming a new "machine learning" component, or a maven/JPMS
> module within Commons Math).
>
> Best regards,
> Gilles

Avijit Basak

Re: [Vote] Create a "machine learning" component

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Posted by Avijit Basak <av...@gmail.com>.
Hi

>Isn't a GA inherently parallel?
>If so, why not take advantage of the concurrency tools provided by the JDK?
  -- Are we planning to implement multi-threading for GA operations even as
part of a single population or only for multi-population parallel GA.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 05:53, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le mar. 13 avr. 2021 à 18:21, Avijit Basak <av...@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
> >
> > Hi
> >
> >           Please find my comments below.

> >      -- Actually in Prod we really need a very high performing system. So
> > use of implicit parallelism in spark would help us to achieve it. But for
> > other types of work like POC or R&D we may not need such performance.
>
> Isn't a GA inherently parallel?
> If so, why not take advantage of the concurrency tools provided by the JDK?

> >      -- I am not much aware of other ml components in commons. I would
> look
> > into it.
>
> I've mentioned them in earlier messages:
>  * Self-organizing feature map (artificial neural net)
>  * Clustering
>
> The former is multi-threaded; the latter should be refactored to
> take advantage of multi-threading.

> > multi-threading)
> >      -- Are we planning to incorporate parallel GA.
>
> Aren't you?
>
> > Then multi-threading
> > would be a more appropriate option.
>
> IMHO, a necessary one.

> > GitHub (copying all the settings from a *Commons modular* component,
> such as
> > "Commons Numbers")
> >      -- Could you kindly share the GitHub repository URL for any Commons
> > modular component.
>
> https://github.com/apache/commons-rng
> https://github.com/apache/commons-numbers
> https://github.com/apache/commons-geometry
> https://github.com/apache/commons-statistics
>

> > Thanks & Regards
> > --Avijit Basak
> >

> > On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 at 18:29, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello.

> Please

> > > things
> in a
> more
> > >
> > > I don't follow the distinction "prod" vs "non-prod".

> > > That would be a good idea...

> > > GA
> > >
> > > Sure, but nobody is currently working on (2).

> > > GA
> > >
> > > I don't doubt it; but the question was actually whether you are willing
> > > to modularize CM (that is: in addition to, and before, contributing to
> > > the GA functionality).

> > > Currently, only the two of us are in favour of this alternative.
> > >
> > > Nobody, by their action, is really in favour of any of the other
> > > alternatives.
> > > So, as a way forward, I would suggest that you create a project on
> GitHub
> > > (copying all the settings from a Commons modular component, such as
> > > "Commons Numbers"), to be eventually integrated here, once its
> potential
> > > has been demonstrated.

> > > modifications.
> > >
> > > You did not expand about the usability/performance (e.g. the issue of
> [...]

Avijit Basak

Re: [Vote] Create a "machine learning" component

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Avijit Basak <av...@gmail.com>.
Hi

          Please find my comments below.

>> I don't follow the distinction "prod" vs "non-prod".
     -- Actually in Prod we really need a very high performing system. So
use of implicit parallelism in spark would help us to achieve it. But for
other types of work like POC or R&D we may not need such performance.
>> the question was actually whether you are willing to modularize CM
     -- I am not much aware of other ml components in commons. I would look
into it.
>>You did not expand about the usability/performance (e.g. the issue of
multi-threading)
     -- Are we planning to incorporate parallel GA. Then multi-threading

Avijit Basak

Re: [Vote] Create a "machine learning" component

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Le lun. 12 avr. 2021 à 17:21, Avijit Basak <av...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi
>
>          Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for your patience. Please
> find my comments below:
>
>  (1) Why not Spark?  [At least post over there (?).]
>       --We can move to Spark. But it will be very much useful if the things
> can also run without Spark. The use of Spark would make more sense in a
> production environment. But the portability of the library will be more
> useful for the non-prod environment.

I don't follow the distinction "prod" vs "non-prod".

> Definitely, we can reach the Spark
> team and query.

That would be a good idea...