Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Oleg Konovalov <ol...@yahoo.com> on 2006/07/07 16:06:59 UTC

OutOfMemoryError

Hi,

We are getting OutOfMemoryError
16:26:41,011 ERROR [STDERR] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
in our production server (which has 4GB of RAM, javaVM - max 2GB)
every other day. All applications stop responding.
We have a bunch of Cocoon applications [mostly 2.0.4] running on JBoss3.0.7.
It is totally unclear which application is causing the problem.

I don't remember that problem happening in our Development or Testing environment
(where max JavaVM=512MB), but I guess it has a much lighter load.

Is there any known memory problem with Cocoon ?

Is there a way to do memory profiling of Cocoon Apps ? Any particular tool ?
(I have done memory profiling of Java applets with JProbe years ago)

Any advice is very appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
 Oleg.

Re: AW: AW: OutOfMemoryError

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Dan Durkin wrote:

> Ralph,
>
> Can you elaborate on how you see that a given pool size is too low?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

This happened just last week. We were doing CPU profiling with YourKit
and when I drilled down I saw the resource limiting pool was creating
XML serializers. You would never see this (in a warmed up system) if the
pool size was OK.  Its harder to see in production. I've had our
operations folks periodically take thread dumps and then I look at
them.  Usually, you will see the resource limiting pool if some pool
size is too low, but you usually won't see what the object is.

Ralph

Re: AW: AW: OutOfMemoryError

Posted by Dan Durkin <du...@macchine.com>.

AW: AW: AW: OutOfMemoryError

Posted by Christofer Dutz <du...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Raplh,

what I wanted to say is that memory is not always freed in the default VM
settings. Otherwise hitting the "Garbage Collect" Button in the VM Monitor
application wouldn't be able to free GBs of unused memory.

Chris

Re: AW: AW: OutOfMemoryError

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

AW: AW: AW: OutOfMemoryError

Posted by Christofer Dutz <du...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Oleg,

We had the problems with a JDK 1.5_02 (I think) on a Windows 2003 server. As
far as I remember (this was a few months ago) this is no real bug in the
sense of not working correctly. For performance reasons the default GC
doesn’t walk through the entire reference Tree, it only checks a few levels.
If you have circular references that’s “size” exceeds the maximum scanning
depth of the GC, it won’t detect that. As far as I know this is not limited
to only this VM since it is a basic Algorithm problem. Mabe Dan can help you
with the VM settings (since I did’t it the lazy way ;) )

Regards,

    Chris

[ c h r i s t o f e r   d u t z ]

IT-Berater

univativ GmbH & Co. KG

Robert-Bosch-Str. 7, 64293 Darmstadt

fon: 0 61 51 / 66 717 - 21

fax: 0 61 51 / 66 717 - 29

email: christofer.dutz@univativ.de

http://www.univativ.de

Darmstadt, Stuttgart, Karlsruhe, Düsseldorf

  _____

AW: AW: OutOfMemoryError

Re: AW: OutOfMemoryError

AW: OutOfMemoryError