Posted to dev@celix.apache.org by Gerrit Binnenmars <ge...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/09 07:31:17 UTC

Re: Next Celix release

Hello Pepijn and others,

Could you for the next release have a look at the following page:
http://microservices.io/patterns/microservice-chassis.html

For me externalized configuration and distributed tracing should be high on
the prio list.
The config admin is not well usable and for service invocation tracing no
facilities are available yet.

I like the idea of positioning Celix as an elaborate microservice chassis
framework.

Greetings Gerrit

Re: Next Celix release

Posted by Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gerrit,

An interesting question.

The issue with mircroservices for a framework like Celix IMO is how to
define and use a (language independent) microservice API  REST/JSON) in
natural way for C, C++ & service oriented

For the microservices API there already a lot of options and I think we
should not reinvent the wheel for this. A big downside is that - as far as
I know - technologies like gRPC,  protobuf, avro, etc generate a lot of
code, but do not generate a clear and pure abstract interfaces as primary
"to use" API .. its al one mess. I personally really dislike this and think
is works against the general idea of OSGi/service oriented (hide your
privates / implementation details).

But I do agree that microsevices - and as result a microservices chassis
frameworks - are an interesting path to look into and can really help move
Celix forward.  Microservices and OSGi/service oriented as techniques
should very compatible.

I am curious if anybody else has any though on this. Or any hints for
certain technology to look at?

Greetings,
Pepijn

Re: Next Celix release