Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/25 23:58:20 UTC

Who's maintaining the Velocity repository?

Hi guys,

I was wondering who was maintaining the maven repository for Velocity.

Here's the latest jars that I've found in ibiblio
(http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/):
- velocity
  - 1.4, dep-1.4, 1.5-dev, SNAPSHOT
- velocity-tools
  - 1.1, generic-1.1, view-1.1
- velocity-dvsl
  - 0.45, SNAPSHOT

I don't know how recent the SNAPSHOT's are, but it would be great if
we could get the latest for all artifacts up there.  :)

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

--
Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>

Re: Who's maintaining the Velocity repository?

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Will,

> Could you clarify why this is needed?

Simple answer:  _I_ want to use it until Velocity-1.5 and
VelocityTools-1.2 gets released.  At least my source won't work
against the current ones up.  :)

> What's the benefit to the effort of uploading the latest dev version of
> Velocity?  Are there other maven-using projects that depend on having SVN
> head?

I don't know how many other maven-using projects there are that uses
unreleased versions of Velocity, but they would all benefit from it.
It doesn't have to be a once-every-commit activity, but it would be
nice if recent changes were included.

As an alternative (which I am using right now), you can set the
dependency to Velocity 1.5 and VelocityTools 1.2 and override the jars
with those compiled from the SVN repos.  But I don't like that because
the build get's more dependent on the local directory structure.

## Of course, I just noticed that I can set up a local repository and
host the SNAPSHOTs there.

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Will,

> What's missing?

I'd like to see a velocity-tools-SNAPSHOT up there.  And judging from
the MD5, velocity-SNAPSHOT is the same as velocity-1.4-dev and
velocity-dvsl-SNAPSHOT is the same as
velocity-dvsl-0.44.20020720.082908.  :)

> It seems overkill to me to include 1.5-dev.  Should we update it for each
> svn commit?

I don't think 1.5-dev is appropriate, since it is not constant.  Such
versions should contain the word "SNAPSHOT" in it, according to the
maven convention.
    http://maven.apache.org/using/managing-dependencies.html#Using_SNAPSHOT_Dependencies

It would be great if we could update the jars on each svn commit, but
I don't know if it will fit into the upload process.  Looks pretty
manual to me.
    http://maven.apache.org/reference/repository-upload.html

As for me, all I want right now is an updated velocity-SNAPSHOT and a
velocity-tools-SNAPSHOT.  (But somebody else might be wanting a
velocity-dvsl-SNAPSHOT  ;))

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
It wouldn't be too tricky to do that via some CruiseControl and Ant
machinations.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
What's missing?

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brett,

> I'll leave the Velocity team to answer, please don't cross post.
>
> SNAPSHOTs are not generally published to Ibiblio by ASF projects - they
> are published to http://cvs.apache.org/repository

OK, thanks.  Sorry for the cross post.

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I'll leave the Velocity team to answer, please don't cross post.

SNAPSHOTs are not generally published to Ibiblio by ASF projects - they
are published to http://cvs.apache.org/repository

- Brett