Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Th...@blum.com on 2006/01/24 08:32:08 UTC

printing transparent objects

Hi,

I've written a small program where I can load an svg-file into the
background and then paint on it (make anotations and markups...). When I
try to print (using the PrintTranscoder class) it works fine as long as I
have drawn no transparent object. If there are objects with opacity on the
svg  the print job size gets huge (almost 4 GBs by a paper-size of A0). I
guess this is because of the fact that postscript doesn't support
transparency(?). Now my question is: Is a possibility to reduce the print
job size, for example by reducing the quality of the transcoding or
something similar, or does anyone have any other idea for a workaround.

thanks in advance
Thomas

PS: I've tried to generate a PDF-file with the PDF-transcoder and then
print the generated PDF-file. This worked great, but it is not a very
convenient solution, because the user then would have to open another
program (like Adobe Reader) to print out the generated file.

Re: printing transparent objects

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Thomas,

Thomas.Hagen@blum.com wrote on 01/24/2006 02:32:08 AM:

> I've written a small program where I can load an svg-file into the
background
> and then paint on it (make anotations and markups...). When I try to
print
> (using the PrintTranscoder class) it works fine as long as I have drawn
no
> transparent object. If there are objects with opacity on the svg  the
print
> job size gets huge (almost 4 GBs by a paper-size of A0). I guess this is

> because of the fact that postscript doesn't support transparency(?).

   Correct.

> Now my question is: Is a possibility to reduce the print job size, for
example
> by reducing the quality of the transcoding or something similar, or does
anyone
> have any other idea for a workaround.

   So I have a few ideas but I don't know for certain on any of this, also
you will need to do this yourself our simple PrintTranscoder won't do it
for you (although you can just copy our code an work from that, if you get
something that might be commonly useful it would be nice to report back!).

   Under JDK 1.4 and higher there is a very rich set of printer
'attributes'.
Among these are 'PrintQuality', and 'PrinterResolution'.  So you could
try setting this on the PrintJob (PrinterResolution might be tricky as
the printer must 'support' the specified resolution - so you can't
arbitrarily lower this).

> PS: I've tried to generate a PDF-file with the PDF-transcoder and then
print
> the generated PDF-file. This worked great, but it is not a very
convenient
> solution, because the user then would have to open another program (like
Adobe
> Reader) to print out the generated file.

   Odd, I wonder what it does differently...