Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de> on 2014/09/16 10:21:56 UTC

[DISCUSS] move documentation and examples to git

Hi there,

in order to make it easier for people to contribute to the documentation and examples I thought about the potential benefits of moving these to a git based repository instead of svn. The main idea behind that is to allow people to contribute via github opening another channel of communication and making it easier to contribute.

Proposed names are pdfbox-docs and pdfbox-examples. Take a look at https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs for an example of that.

I haven’t thought about all potential implications and changes necessary yet but wanted to get a first feedback about support for that idea before putting more effort into that.

WDYT?

Maruan

Re: [DISCUSS] move documentation and examples to git

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

> Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de> hat am 16. September 2014 um 14:35
> geschrieben:
>

> Am 16.09.2014 um 14:27 schrieb Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>:
>
> >> Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de> hat am 16. September 2014 um 14:23
> >> geschrieben:

> >> You or me going to ask?
> > Be my guest ;-)
> >

> Thank you - looking forward to your feedback. In the meanwhile I’ll start with
> the changes for the content.
Done, I'm simply created a JIRA ticket. Let's see what happens ....

BR
Andreas

Re: [DISCUSS] move documentation and examples to git

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.

> Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de> hat am 16. September 2014 um 12:06
> geschrieben:
>

> OK - I see what you mean, got your question wrong. We can check with infra but
> I don’t see a reason why pdfbox-docs and pdfbox-examples can't exist in new
> repos and there is pdfbox in the old one and the new repos being git based.
> Would behave just like ‚different‘ projects.

Technically yes, but we should asked infra if it's possible from the
organizational point of view.

> So if it’s possible shall we do it?
+1,

We have to split the build if we move the examples to a git repo and concatenate
them.

> Moving the whole project to git is a different story. I’d see the same benefit
> applying to pdfbox but the impact is larger. So moving the docs and examples
> might also be a good test case.

Yes, that would be a perfect opportunity

> Maruan

Andreas

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

> Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de> hat am 16. September 2014 um 10:21
> geschrieben:
>

> Hi there,
>
> in order to make it easier for people to contribute to the documentation and
> examples I thought about the potential benefits of moving these to a git based
> repository instead of svn. The main idea behind that is to allow people to
> contribute via github opening another channel of communication and making it
> easier to contribute.
>
> Proposed names are pdfbox-docs and pdfbox-examples. Take a look at
> https://github.com/apache/cordova-docs for an example of that.
>
> I haven’t thought about all potential implications and changes necessary yet
> but wanted to get a first feedback about support for that idea before putting
> more effort into that.
>
> WDYT?
Good idea, but I'm not sure if a splitted repo configuration (svn/git) is
supported by infra. So maybe this is only possible if we migrate the whole
project to git.

> Maruan

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: [DISCUSS] move documentation and examples to git

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.

Actually, it’s what I said 5 emails back in this thread:

>> The problem with that approach is that GitHub’s pull requests can only be managed via GitHub’s issues interface, so we’re forced to use it. There’s no way to prevent GitHub users from opening and discussing issues in pull requests rather than on JIRA.

> It may or may not be an issue in practice

I cited examples of this happening in existing Apache projects on GitHub to show that this is an issue in practice. It happens.

> It’s not a show stopper in my opinion.

It would be something which we’d have to police very strictly and ideally should be automated. There’s a certain amount of administrative hassle which this creates which is unavoidable.

There’s another potential issue too, thinking about it: currently all commit messages are prefixed with a JIRA issue number but commits made by GitHub users in PRs are likely to forget this, which would require all commits in the PR to be modified. Additionally GitHub users often open PRs with dozens of small commits which in most cases we’d want to be “squashed” into a single commit - we’ll need a strong policy on handling this and enough knowledge to help users get their PRs up to our quality standards.

-- John

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.

Maruan Sahyoun

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
The docs are part of the website

Currently I mean the cookbook, how to build the project, architecture ..

Maruan

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Hi Maruan,

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Am 17.09.2014 um 19:01 schrieb Maruan Sahyoun:
> is that because of the examples, the docs or both?
The examples could be tricky as they depend on the source code in the svn repo.

> BR
>
> Maruan

BR
Andreas

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Andreas Lehmkühler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Dear Santosh,

you can unregister using the link below.

With kind regards
Maruan

Posted by Santosh Arakeri <sa...@gmail.com>.
Pl dont send me mail.