Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Oisin Hurley <oi...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/12 10:09:47 UTC

Re: JMS Transport for a CXF Rest Webservice... Is it possible using Camel?

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Christian Schneider
<ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:
> Does it make sense to use anything other than HTTP for rest?
> Rest depends on HTTP commands like GET, PUT, POST. These are not available
> in JMS.

This is possibly a bit pedantic, but...

REST is an approach that uses a fixed lexicon of actions (verbs), but is not
tied to any particular exchange/wire protocol. HTTP came first, and the RESTful
approach was reverse-engineered from the operational Web - hence the close
match. It's entirely possible to create a RESTful system without using HTTP.

 --oh

Re: JMS Transport for a CXF Rest Webservice... Is it possible using Camel?

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

Am 12.04.2010 10:09, schrieb Oisin Hurley:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Christian Schneider
> <ch...@die-schneider.net>  wrote:
>
>> Does it make sense to use anything other than HTTP for rest?
>> Rest depends on HTTP commands like GET, PUT, POST. These are not available
>> in JMS.
>>
> This is possibly a bit pedantic, but...
>
> REST is an approach that uses a fixed lexicon of actions (verbs), but is not
> tied to any particular exchange/wire protocol. HTTP came first, and the RESTful
> approach was reverse-engineered from the operational Web - hence the close
> match. It's entirely possible to create a RESTful system without using HTTP.

That´s true. but currently all rest implementations are tied to HTTP and
I have no idea how to translate the verbs to JMS. Do you have a suggestion?

Greetings

Christian