Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/24 11:13:50 UTC

Community Day 17th September - Sprint Report

Hi Everyone

First of all a huge thank you to everyone who participated in the OFBiz Community Day last weekend. I saw that during Saturday there were at least 103 OFBiz commits and the top 5 committers on SVN that day were all OFBiz ones! (Michael, Pranay, Arun, Jacques & Gils).

Our committers can't do their work without the help and support from the rest of the community so thanks to everyone that contributed. It all counts!

I've closed the Jira Sprint the report details can be found at the link below:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=64&view=reporting&chart=sprintRetrospective&sprint=251

(NOTE: If you worked on an issue and it isn't appearing in the report, then it may not have been added to the sprint.)

The report shows that 19 issues were closed or resolved, another 9 others were worked on. I suspect that the actual work effort was a lot higher than this based on the commit figures alone so if we want to continue to use the Sprint Report to track our progress we may need to ensure that everyone knows when and how to add Jira issues to a current sprint.

Thanks to everyone for a great effort and I hope everyone is looking forward to the next Community Day on 17th December.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: Community Day 17th September - Sprint Report

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.

On 2016-09-24 14:02 (+0200), Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> wrote:
> Le 24/09/2016  13:13, Sharan Foga a crit :
> > Hi Everyone
> >
> > First of all a huge thank you to everyone who participated in the OFBiz Community Day last weekend. I saw that during Saturday there were at least 103 OFBiz commits and the top 5 committers on SVN that day were all OFBiz ones! (Michael, Pranay, Arun, Jacques & Gils).
> >
> > Our committers can't do their work without the help and support from the rest of the community so thanks to everyone that contributed. It all counts!
> >
> > I've closed the Jira Sprint the report details can be found at the link below:
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=64&view=reporting&chart=sprintRetrospective&sprint=251
> >
> > (NOTE: If you worked on an issue and it isn't appearing in the report, then it may not have been added to the sprint.)
> >
> > The report shows that 19 issues were closed or resolved, another 9 others were worked on. I suspect that the actual work effort was a lot higher than this based on the commit figures alone so if we want to continue to use the Sprint Report to track our progress we may need to ensure that everyone knows when and how to add Jira issues to a current sprint.
> >
> > Thanks to everyone for a great effort and I hope everyone is looking forward to the next Community Day on 17th December.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharan
> >

> Hi Sharan,
>
> You can't put a subtask in a sprint. It always "Inherited from parent." (says Jira). I guess it's the reasons you feel a difference between what was
> done and what the sprint retrospective shows.

I'm wondering if instead of subtasks and parent tasks, if we could look at enabling and using epics as that is what agile / scrum use  to put together a set of related tasks.

Essentially we want to show that there is a relationship between the tasks and are currently using subtasks. It's an idea that we could discuss to see what people think and maybe trial it for the next community day.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael

I've included some responses inline.

On 2016-09-25 10:58 (+0200), Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de> wrote:
> Hi Sharan,
>
> thank you for putting the report together!
>
> About counting I see some problems:
>
> 1. you cannot assign a task to a new sprint if it is already assigned to
> an earlier sprint (or I haven't found it). I had several of these issues
> this time.
> We'll need a process to remove an issue from a sprint if it is not
> finished or add to an additional sprint.

I've seen tasks assigned to more than one sprint. I'm not sure if you can remove the closed sprint but you can definitely add the task to another sprint. It just multiple sprints assigned

The ways I've done it in the past are:
1) to edit the task and search for the new sprint and add it
2) drag and drop a task into the sprint using the agile backlog screen

> 2. Issues with subtasks count as one (see issue 8044 and it's 18
> subtasks) as Jacques also mentioned.

Yes- I saw Jacques email. I suggested looking at using epics for the tasks rather than using subtasks. At the moment we dont have epics enabled, so it is something we could try to see if it solves the problem..

> 3. I wasn't able to put issue OFBIZ-8118 and it's 8 subtasks to the sprint.
>
> All in all, I guess we have a multiple count of 19 achieved during the
> community day(s), I think it comes close to the number of commits we
> have recorded.

Exactly. The commit record shows a lot, we just need to look at tweaking Jira to show us the details at a level we need.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Sharan,