Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2004/08/25 21:47:47 UTC

clonevm on

The new clonevm attribute on the <java> task looked like exactly what I
needed, but it seems to only clone the built in system properties and not
ones specified one the commandline (e.g. ant -Dmyapp.foo=bar).  I tried
changing BuiltinPropertySetName to "all" didn't work.

How can this be done?

Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal
http://www.splike.com : programming
http://csx.calvin.edu : student org

Re: clonevm on

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> wrote:
>

>>The new clonevm attribute on the <java> task looked like exactly
>>what I needed, but it seems to only clone the built in system
>>properties and not ones specified one the commandline
>

> The things you specify on the command line are via
>

>>(e.g. ant -Dmyapp.foo=bar)
>

> are Ant properties, not system properties.
>
> I introduced clonevm for Gump initially that sets things like
> java.awt.headless and needs to pass this to forked unit tests and so
> on.

it really irritates me that you cannot clone jvms 100% foolproofly, we
really need a proper implementation of fork() into the java runtime. At
least ant can extract env variables without waiting for java1.5, that
being part of the exec() payload, but we cannot do things like system
process priority and other advanced options. and of course file handles,
but that is a side problem.

FYI, although win32 doesnt have a fork() call, it is in the kernel -the
(never used) posix subsystem makes the call, so it has to be there.

-steve

Re: clonevm on

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.