Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Don Town <bg...@sbcglobal.net> on 2021/09/24 01:35:04 UTC

Linking sheets

Hello everyone

Is there any way to link various sheets in a document?

What I'd like to do is... to move ONE sheet...and when switching to another sheet,
the software might automagically place me at the same coordinates without having to
navigate to them... such that ALL the sheets in a document stay coordinated with
one another habitually.

That way, it's easy to review a specific piece of information in that same area
across all the sheets .

Thanks
Don

Using: OO 4.1.7 and / or 4.1.8 on a Mac

Re: Linking sheets

Posted by Steven Ahlers <sa...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Don,

What you’re describing is a Relational Data Base. This can be designed, built and maintained with the Base module in Apache OpenOffice.

Steve,

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Linking sheets

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.
Don,

Not sure I understand what you're trying to do and this suggestion isn't
"automatic" but, if what you want to do is go directly to a location on a
different sheet, it can be done without navigating there.

Presuming each sheet is a different tab in the same workbook...

   1. Insert the cursor at the beginning of the "Name Box" (just above the
   empty rectangle where the column headings row and row number columns meet).
   The Name Box will have the address of the current cell in it.
   2. Type the name of the sheet you want to get to followed by a period,
   ".".
   3. Press enter.
   4. The cell highlight will move to the sheet/cell entered in the Name
   Box and bring that sheet to the top.

The Name Box shows the address of the current cell without the page name.

If, for example, you're on sheetSSSS in cell Z125 and want to move to
sheetSSSP cell Z125 then...
- put the cursor before the address (Z125) of the current cell in the Name
Box
- type sheetSSSP. (the Name Box now contains sheetSSSP.Z125)
- press enter

sheetSSSP will now be the top sheet and the cursor will be in cell Z125.

As I said, not automatic, but maybe a useful method for you to navigate to
the same cell on a different sheet.

I do not believe this will work if the sheets are in different files.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 9:28 PM Don Town <bg...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> >> On September 23, 2021 at 7:35:19 PM, Don Town (bgnss@sbcglobal.net)
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello everyone
> >>
> >> Is there any way to link various sheets in a document?
> >>
> >> What I'd like to do is... to move any ONE sheet...and when switching to
> another sheet,
> >> the software might automagically place me at the same coordinates
> without having to
> >> navigate to them... such that ALL the sheets in a document stay
> coordinated with
> >> one another habitually.
> >>
> >> That way, it's easy to review a specific piece of information in that
> same area
> >> across all the sheets .
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Don
> >>
> >> Using: OO 4.1.7 and / or 4.1.8 on a Mac
>

> > On Sep 23, 2021, at 11:59 PM, David Belina <db...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > What you just described is a database.
> >
> > Dave
>
> My issue isn't about knowing what it's called.
> It's about finding out if / how to make that technique happen.
>
> I regularly need to create a new updated sheet every 3-4 days.
> The newer sheet is meant to update stock / information levels from the
> older sheets that are to stay frozen in the <informational> condition they
> are in, while also staying easy to review as they become increasingly
> obsoleted.
>
> You seem to imply this is possible.
>
> Would be nice to have the OLD sheetSSSS "leashed" to the new <most
> relevant> sheet so they stay in step with being able to simultaneously
> glance back easier at the same spot on all of them as the new information
> supercedes the old.
>
> I have / had no idea if this is even possible, much less **how** to do it.
>
> Thanks
> Don

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011