Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Clay Atkins <ca...@spcmg.com> on 1999/12/04 07:41:50 UTC

Ready to Go!

james,

I have successfully compiled FOP and run a test application.  I'm ready to
go!  Anything in particular that I can help with?

thanks,

Clay

Re: Ready to Go!

Posted by James Tauber <jt...@jtauber.com>.
> Does Thomas Merz' pdflib cover this sort of thing? If so, I presume
> that studying the code for that would reveal some secrets.

I suspect you are right. Thanks for the reminder.

James

Re: Ready to Go!

Posted by Sebastian Rahtz <se...@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>.
James Tauber writes:
 > * finding out how PDF does embedded and external fonts (ie fonts other than
 > the in-built ones) and adding that support to the org.apache.fop.pdf package
 > as people are wanting to use their own font

Does Thomas Merz' pdflib cover this sort of thing? If so, I presume
that studying the code for that would reveal some secrets. If I
remember aright, pdflib is at the bottom of RenderX's stuff (look at
the info fields in their PDF)

Sebastian

Re: Ready to Go!

Posted by James Tauber <jt...@jtauber.com>.
> I have successfully compiled FOP and run a test application.  I'm ready to
> go!  Anything in particular that I can help with?

Here are some projects that come to mind:

* finding out how PDF does Unicode characters outside of WinAnsi and adding
that support to the org.apache.fop.pdf package

* finding out how PDF does embedded and external fonts (ie fonts other than
the in-built ones) and adding that support to the org.apache.fop.pdf package
as people are wanting to use their own font

* finding out how to do this in Java. People who want to print XML locally
will increasingly use just Java printing and bypass the PDF step.

* making a start on MathML support

* improving property.xml and property.xsl to use a superset of the W3C
schema language

* autogenerate PropertyListBuilder's list of mappings from property.xml

* think about ways of reducing the incredible redundancies in formatting
objects. There is so much refactoring that could be done, moving stuff up to
super classes, etc.

James

Re: Ready to Go!

Posted by James Tauber <jt...@jtauber.com>.
> obviously, study of TeX would be a good starting point.

Absolutely. In fact, I would wager this is true for almost all the layout
algorithms FOP will use.

James

Re: Ready to Go!

Posted by Jean-Marc Destabeaux <ha...@worldnet.fr>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps non-TeX people might be interested to hear that there is a
> > group called "NTS" (New Typesetting System), who are working on a
> > follow-up to TeX.

> _very_ interesting. What is the URL for this NTS effort?

Official home of NTS is at

  http://nts.tug.org/

There was once a (unrelated?) project for Java+TeX:

 ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/systems/java/javatex/

I don't know its status for now.

  Jean-Marc Destabeaux
  hacjmd@worldnet.fr

Re: Ready to Go!

Posted by Sebastian Rahtz <se...@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>.
Stefano Mazzocchi writes:
 > > which could be used in things like FOP. Anyway, for whoever takes on
 > > hyphenation in TeX, it is  worth talking to these NTS people. The main
 > > programmer is in the Czech Republic, fwiw.
 >
 > _very_ interesting. What is the URL for this NTS effort?

http://nts.tug.org

sebastian

Re: Ready to Go!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Fotis Jannidis writes:
>  > > obviously, study of TeX would be a good starting point. published,
>  > > multi-lingual, sophisticated hyphenation ready and waiting.
>  >

>  > You are certainly right. I have never worked with TeX, so maybe
>  > somebody else has experience in TeX and thinks this is an interesting job?
>
> Perhaps non-TeX people might be interested to hear that there is a
> group called "NTS" (New Typesetting System), who are working on a
> follow-up to TeX. Their first task was to rewrite TeX in Java, and so
> get a platform for experiments in different algorithms. This rewrite
> is now almost complete, I understand, and due to be released next
> summer. This _could_ end up being "TeX as a library of Java modules",
> which could be used in things like FOP. Anyway, for whoever takes on
> hyphenation in TeX, it is  worth talking to these NTS people. The main
> programmer is in the Czech Republic, fwiw.

_very_ interesting. What is the URL for this NTS effort?

> Anyone who wants to get up to scratch with TeX and meet the people
> working on its children (which includes not only NTS, but also: e-TeX
> (extended TeX, with extra primitives); Omega (Unicode-based TeX); and
> LaTeX3 (next generation markup)), could and should come to Oxford (UK)
> next summer to the TeX Users Group meeting. See
> http://www.tug.org/tug2000/. Speaking as the conference chair, I can
> assure you of a warm welcome and people wanting to talk about high
> quality formatting.

:) Gee, wish I could be in more than one place at the same time :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Ready to Go!

Posted by Sebastian Rahtz <se...@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>.

Re: Ready to Go!

Posted by Fotis Jannidis <Fo...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>.

Sebastian writes:
> obviously, study of TeX would be a good starting point. published,
> multi-lingual, sophisticated hyphenation ready and waiting.

You are certainly right. I have never worked with TeX, so maybe somebody else has
experience in TeX and thinks this is an interesting job?
Fotis

Re: Ready to Go!

Posted by Sebastian Rahtz <se...@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>.

Re: Ready to Go!

Posted by Fotis Jannidis <Fo...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>.
Send reply to:  	fop-dev@xml.apache.org
From:           	catkins@spcmg.com (Clay Atkins)
To:             	"Fop-Dev@Xml. Apache. Org" <fo...@xml.apache.org>
Subject:        	Ready to Go!
Date sent:      	Sat, 4 Dec 1999 00:41:50 -0600

> I have successfully compiled FOP and run a test application.  I'm ready to
> go!  Anything in particular that I can help with?

If we are on the topic what should be done next: