Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> on 2010/12/07 09:41:35 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1042482 - in /tomcat/trunk: ./ conf/ java/org/apache/catalina/core/ java/org/apache/catalina/loader/ java/org/apache/tomcat/util/threads/ res/confinstall/ webapps/ webapps/docs/ webapps/docs/config/

On 06.12.2010 22:01, Sylvain Laurent wrote:
> On 6 déc. 2010, at 01:09, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 05/12/2010 22:54, slaurent@apache.org wrote:

>>> Modified:
>>>     tomcat/trunk/   (props changed)
>>>     tomcat/trunk/conf/   (props changed)
>>>     tomcat/trunk/webapps/    (props changed)
>> -1 to all these changes.
>> a) This is not a Tomcat instance for running. That is created in output.
>> b) It reverts a useful change I made earlier today
> Sorry, I did not realize there could be changes on directories with SVN. For debugging I launch tomcat from the base directory and this creates directories likes log, work, etc...
> I believe you fixed this.

Just in case Mark's remark a) wasn't clear: after building Tomcat you
can debug inside the sub directory output/build which contains a full
installation.

Regards,

Rainer

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 07/12/2010 17:49, Sylvain Laurent wrote:

> On 7 déc. 2010, at 09:41, Rainer Jung wrote:
>>>

>> Just in case Mark's remark a) wasn't clear: after building Tomcat
>> you can debug inside the sub directory output/build which contains
>> a full installation.
>
> I had understood Mark, but it's not practical for debugging... I
> prefer to debug tomcat within eclipse and use the classes compiled by
> eclipse. I'll just ignore the work and log directories when
> committing changes. Though if we could ignore them that would be
> nice...

Debugging that way isn't something I would want to do or recommend that
others do but if it works for you, lets not make your life difficult. My
previous veto was due to:
a) I thought it was bad practice (too easy to commit local changes to
config files, too easy to include local changes in a release build) and
b) because it reverted a change I needed.

I won't object to adding the ignores you need providing that build.xml
is updated to ensure that they are also ignored as part of any build. A
quick glance shows temp, work and logs should be OK but
conf/<enginename> will need a change or two to ensure it is ignored.

Mark

Posted by Sylvain Laurent <sy...@m4x.org>.