Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/03/02 16:57:49 UTC

Cleaning dross from CVS

I have a directory (test) under Gump that got into CVS before I noticed and
added it to .cvsignore. This directory is created by unit tests, and such.

Now I get problems (when I update) with CVS saying that this resource exists
locally already. I've tried deleting it locally, and updating, and no luck.

How can I remove it from CVS (server side, perhaps) to clean this up?

Thanks in advance.

regards

Adam
--
Experience the Unwired Enterprise:
http://www.sybase.com/unwiredenterprise

Re: Cleaning dross from CVS

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:

> How can I remove it from CVS (server side, perhaps) to clean this
> up?

You can't remove directories in CVS at all (except for manually
deleting them on the server).  I think you can get rid of your
messages if you remove the directory locally and from .cvsignore and
then update.

If you really want to remove it permanently, assuming there is no
history to be lost, you can do so on the cvs server, simply delete it,
it should be empty.  This may cause all kinds of warnings to those
that have checked it out, though.

Stefan

Re: Cleaning dross from CVS

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>I have a directory (test) under Gump that got into CVS before I noticed and
>added it to .cvsignore. This directory is created by unit tests, and such.
>
>Now I get problems (when I update) with CVS saying that this resource exists
>locally already. I've tried deleting it locally, and updating, and no luck.
>
>How can I remove it from CVS (server side, perhaps) to clean this up?

delete the directory from /home/cvs
Infrastructure should be able to handle this.
If the PMC agrees,  which we do.