Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Erik Wasser <er...@iquer.net> on 2004/12/09 13:56:31 UTC

Digging out an old/deleted file

Hi users@subversion.tigris.org,

I deleted a file in my tree 'long' ago (read: too long to remember) and
I want that file back. I don't know the revision number where I deleted
the file (but I know the exact filename and position).

What can I do? How can I get the lastest revision of that file without
trying every number?

--
So long... Fuzz

Re: Digging out an old/deleted file

Posted by Erik Wasser <er...@iquer.net>.
On Thursday 09 December 2004 14:56, Erik Wasser wrote:

> [...]

Thanks for the quick help.

Grepping 'svn -v log path/to/foo/bar' will do the 'trick' for me.

Posted by François Beausoleil <fb...@ftml.net>.

On 09/12/2004 08:56, Erik Wasser wrote:
> Hi users@subversion.tigris.org,
>
> I deleted a file in my tree 'long' ago (read: too long to remember) and
> I want that file back. I don't know the revision number where I deleted
> the file (but I know the exact filename and position).
>
> What can I do? How can I get the lastest revision of that file without
> trying every number?

Well then, simply do svn log the path (not the file), backwards in time.

For example, if your file was path/in/repos/file.txt, do this:
svn log --verbose -r{approx. date of deletion}:1 path/in/repos

Now, read the verbose output, and find the deletion line.

Hope that helps,
François

Re: Digging out an old/deleted file

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On Dec 9, 2004, at 8:56 AM, Erik Wasser wrote:

> Hi users@subversion.tigris.org,
>
> I deleted a file in my tree 'long' ago (read: too long to remember) and
> I want that file back. I don't know the revision number where I deleted
> the file (but I know the exact filename and position).
>
> What can I do? How can I get the lastest revision of that file without
> trying every number?

There is probably an easier way, but how about searching a verbose log
with the path that you know.  You should find the line declaring that
the file was deleted and you know the previous version is what you
want.

Scott