Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/12 19:54:45 UTC

Re: Problem using wildcardsearch in phrase search

Somewhere in the list, I remember one of the guys who know what
they're talking about mentions something about KeywordAnalyzer
being "subject to the meta-semantics of the QueryParser".

So try looking at query.toString() in your example. What I think you'll
find is that KeywordAnalyzer doesn't quite do what you expect at
query time. This code

            QueryParser qp = new QueryParser("field", new
KeywordAnalyzer());

            Query q = qp.parse("Does this tokenize*");
            System.out.println(q.toString());

Produces
field:Does field:this field:tokenize*

which isn't really what you're looking for, I don't think. In fact, I don't
see any difference between this and WhitespaceAnalyzer. What I
think you want is

Try rewriting the query and dumping the output to see how your
term expands...

If you haven't already, get a copy of Luke (google Lucene Luke). That'll
allow you to examine how different analyzers work at query time and
give you a much better idea of what is going on.....

But it's a beautiful Saturday, and I'm going to go outside and garden so....

Erick