Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Poorna Chandra <po...@apache.org> on 2016/05/20 22:47:00 UTC

[VOTE] Release of Apache Tephra-0.8.0-incubating [rc1]

Hi all,

This is a call for a vote on releasing Apache Tephra 0.8.0-incubating,
release candidate 1. This
is the first release of Tephra.

Apache Tephra community has voted and approved the release.

Vote thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-tephra-dev/201605.mbox/%3CCAC9o21R1x-m1%2BbaV3oK39RmPbf2pToBQrSGkfzBmWz%3Dp8Ez5JQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Result thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-tephra-dev/201605.mbox/%3CCAC9o21TR5Ur4nu%2BxOoXB74vHSvRujtj1C6%2BsA2N75YQf4DXd8w%40mail.gmail.com%3E

The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/tephra/0.8.0-incubating-rc1/src

The tag to be voted upon is v0.8.0-incubating:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-tephra.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/v0.8.0-incubating

The release hash is 0db528e3603393221472b89fa9bb30312cfd5470:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-tephra.git;a=commit;h=0db528e3603393221472b89fa9bb30312cfd5470

The Nexus Staging URL:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetephra-1001

http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8EC4A2C60990A464

KEYS file available:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/tephra/KEYS

For information about the contents of this release, see:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/tephra/0.8.0-incubating-rc1/CHANGES.txt

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Tephra 0.8.0-incubating

The vote will be open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Tephra 0.8.0-incubating
[ ] +0 no opinion

Poorna.

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Tephra-0.8.0-incubating [rc1]

Posted by Poorna Chandra <po...@apache.org>.
Hey John,

Thanks for the stack trace. The stack trace indicates that starting HBase
minicluster on your laptop failed (as Andrew mentioned in an earlier
email). To figure out why the minicluster startup is failing, it would be
helpful if you attach the test output file.

The test output file should be located at
tephra-hbase-compat-1.0/target/surefire-reports/org.apache.tephra.hbase.TransactionAwareHTableTest-output.txt.
Just replace the first part of the path with the module name that failed,
i.e., tephra-hbase-compat-0.98 or tephra-hbase-compat-1.1.

Thanks,
Poorna.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Here's the output

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the reviews. There are a few files with a package
of co.cask.tephra in order to maintain backward compatibility with pre
Apache-based releases. These will be removed in a follow on release.

    James

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> The source code still shows "Copyright © 2015 Cask Data, Inc." notices.

Are you sure you are looking at the source release bundle? I can’t see copyright Cask Data anywhere.

> The code is still organized in co.cask.tephra... packages. That should be org.apache.tephra..., right?

That a nice to have but not a must have  requirement for an incubating release.

> There is no NOTICE file

There is in the source release that I looked at. On reflection it could also have a line saying “Original software developed at Cask Data” if some of the files had that above copyright removed.

>  Is there any 3rd party code included under other (open source) licenses that we would need to include?

AFAIK there no 3rd party code bundled in this source release, no no need to add anything to LICENSE or NOTICE.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Tephra-0.8.0-incubating [rc1]

Posted by la...@apache.org.
Thanks James,
I must have looked at the wrong branch/tag, now looked at the 0.8.0-incubating tag, and all looks clean there.

Sorry for the noise.
+1 (Binding)
Thanks.
-- Lars

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
Lars - Would you consider changing your vote given the additional
information from Justin and myself? There is no third party code bundled in
the source release.

Thanks,
James

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 10:45 PM, <la...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hmm...
> The source code still shows "Copyright © 2015 Cask Data, Inc." notices.The
> code is still organized in co.cask.tephra... packages. That should be
> org.apache.tephra..., right?
> There is no NOTICE file, and the LICENSE file only contains the Apache 2.0
> license. Is there any 3rd party code included under other (open source)
> licenses that we would need to include?
> I realize this may sound like nit-picking. But it is an important aspect
> of the incubation time.
>
> I have to vote  -1 .
>
> -- Lars

The source code still shows "Copyright © 2015 Cask Data, Inc." notices.The code is still organized in co.cask.tephra... packages. That should be org.apache.tephra..., right?
There is no NOTICE file, and the LICENSE file only contains the Apache 2.0 license. Is there any 3rd party code included under other (open source) licenses that we would need to include?

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

+1 binding. Minor issue with LICENSE file.

I checked:
- name includes incubating
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE is missing license appendix, please raise a JIRA and fix for next release
- NOTICE is fine
- All source files have headers
- No unexpected binary files
- Can compile from source and all tests pass

Thanks,
Justin