Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2020/04/10 12:20:59 UTC

MNG-6888 Remove deprecated command line options

Hi,

I would like to remove those deprecated command line options from Maven
core for 3.7.0 ...

WDYT ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: MNG-6888 Remove deprecated command line options

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2020-04-10 um 15:06 schrieb Enrico Olivelli:
> Il Ven 10 Apr 2020, 14:56 Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> ha
> scritto:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 10.04.20 14:42, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
>>>

>>> Il Ven 10 Apr 2020, 14:21 Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarbaise@gmx.de
>>> <ma...@gmx.de>> ha scritto:
>>>
>>>      Hi,
>>>
>>>      I would like to remove those deprecated command line options from
>> Maven
>>>      core for 3.7.0 ...
>>>

>>> That sounds more suitable for a 4.0 release.
>>> We can break things but we should be as much compatible as possible if
>>> we don't change the first digit.
>>>
>>> What options are you referring to?
>>
>> The following options are all already marked deprecated and produce a
>> WARNING if you use them:
>>
>> --update-plugins short:-up
>> --no-plugin-updates short:-npu
>> --check-plugins-updates short:-cpu
>> --no-plugin-registry short:-npr
>>
>> Furthermore all of them have been marked deprecated with 3.0-beta-2
>> (MNG-4697) which means from my point of view it has been simply
>> oversight to remove them for 3.0 ... ? So they are deprecated for about
>> 10 years ...
>>
>> I don't see as a breaking thing cause we already need JDK8 for 3.7.0...
>> so JDK8 which is also a breaking change from that perspective also we
>> have removed support for Win9 launch scripts in 3.3.1 which is also a
>> breaking change ...
>>

> Thank you Karl for explaining
>
> +1 for me

Agree too. Nuke them. We also need to make sure than plugins or alike
don't call them.

Re: MNG-6888 Remove deprecated command line options

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
scritto:

> Hi,
>
> On 10.04.20 14:42, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
> >

> > Il Ven 10 Apr 2020, 14:21 Karl Heinz Marbaise <khmarbaise@gmx.de
> > <ma...@gmx.de>> ha scritto:
> >
> >     Hi,
> >
> >     I would like to remove those deprecated command line options from
> Maven
> >     core for 3.7.0 ...
> >

> > That sounds more suitable for a 4.0 release.
> > We can break things but we should be as much compatible as possible if
> > we don't change the first digit.
> >
> > What options are you referring to?
>
> The following options are all already marked deprecated and produce a
> WARNING if you use them:
>
> --update-plugins short:-up
> --no-plugin-updates short:-npu
> --check-plugins-updates short:-cpu
> --no-plugin-registry short:-npr
>
> Furthermore all of them have been marked deprecated with 3.0-beta-2
> (MNG-4697) which means from my point of view it has been simply
> oversight to remove them for 3.0 ... ? So they are deprecated for about
> 10 years ...
>
> I don't see as a breaking thing cause we already need JDK8 for 3.7.0...
> so JDK8 which is also a breaking change from that perspective also we
> have removed support for Win9 launch scripts in 3.3.1 which is also a
> breaking change ...

Thank you Karl for explaining

+1 for me

Enrico