Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Kevin C." <ke...@hotmail.com> on 2006/03/14 13:00:02 UTC

HOW-TO reply to somebody in digest mode?

I am currently subscribed to users-digest-help mailing list.

In Hotmail I see a long list of concatenated postings from individual users.
I use the search button to find my posts and whether anyone replied to them.

However when I want to reply to someone specific how does one go about
this?.. without replying to the entire digest?

Re: HOW-TO reply to somebody in digest mode?

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Tuesday 14 March 2006 14:00, Kevin C. wrote:
> I am currently subscribed to users-digest-help mailing list.
>
> In Hotmail I see a long list of concatenated postings from individual
> users. I use the search button to find my posts and whether anyone replied
> to them.
>
> However when I want to reply to someone specific how does one go about
> this?.. without replying to the entire digest?

Simple: you cut'n'paste the topic you're referring to, quote the relevant
parts of the posting and then add your own comments. Then, in the message
headers, you adjust the 'In-Reply-To:' header so it references the
original(not the digest) message (required by RFC2822, enables 'threading'
for clients that support it) and then send the message to the users'
mailinglist.

In short, you can't, sorry. The digests are intended to be read-only. If you
don't want to clobber your inbox with several tens of postings per day,
create a subfolder and install automatic filters that sort the messages into
the new folder. Then, I'd also install a cleanup task that automatically
deletes items there that are older than e.g. two weeks in order to not make
it too full and slow down the webfrontend.

Uli