Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Josh Wyatt <Jo...@hcssystems.com> on 2002/06/10 17:25:21 UTC

Apache Logging - pre-request or post-request?

Using apache 1.3.24 here.

When is an entry committed to the access log (using CustomLog)?
1. After the request headers have been received, before the request is
fulfilled;
2. After the request has been fulfilled

I suspect #2, since the number of bytes transferred is logged.  That
being the case, is there a way to log the request time, as soon as the
request is received?  In other words, #1?

Thanks,
Josh

Re: Apache Logging - pre-request or post-request?

Posted by Josh Wyatt <Jo...@hcssystems.com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> Yes, #2 is correct.  I don't know of any way to log the request time, but
> you can log the time that it takes to serve the request and use this with
> the log time to get the request time.  Unfortunately, Apache 1.3 offers
> only second-resolution using the %T logformat option, which is not very
> useful for small requests.  Apache 2.0 offers microsecond-resolution using
> %D.  See:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_log_config.html
>
> Joshua.

Once again, you are the man.