Posted to users@jena.apache.org by hlel emna <em...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/05 01:59:24 UTC

building ontology

I tried to create an ontology with jena and I chose the following namespace:

String ns=”http://www.ontologie.fr/monOntologie”;

OntModel m = ModelFactory.*createOntologyModel*();

OntClass autt = m.createClass(ns+"Auteur");

      OntClass thaut = m.createClass(ns+"Theme");

      OntClass motc = m.createClass(ns+ "Mot-Clé");

………….

but my supervisor gives me this note: Your ontology is not really published
anywhere.  The namespace looks made up.

Please, how I can resolve this problem???

Re: building ontology

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Your supervisor is right. You will need a web address somewhere that
you can publish your ontology at.

So for instance, if you actually have a homepage at
http://www.example.com/ and you create an ontology about fish, then
perhaps
http://www.example.com/2015/fish
would be a namespace that you control - at least now in 2015 (someone
else might have purchased your domain name in 2025).

In the simplest case you simply make "/2015/fish" as an empty
directory on the example.com webserver, or have just a human-readable
index.html describing the ontology there. Ideally the URL should be
able to give the OWL ontology back in an RDF format, which might
require more web server configuration (content negotiation) or the
exposure of file extensions, e.g. http://www.example.com/fish.rdf

Hopefully your school or workplace should have some kind of project or
personal web-space for you - if not using something like GitHub pages
might be a simple fallback.
https://pages.github.com/

Note that my http://www.example.com/ above literally is a made-up
example you should replace with your real web server.

If you are doing example/tutorial code, then example.com would be more
appropriate than hi-jacking a domain like ontologie.fr, as it is an
implicit statement "This is not a real, published ontology".  You can
also use http://www.example.org/ or http://www.example.net/ if you
need (confusing) variation.

Now if you are going to develop an ontology that is not just an
example or for training purposes, then good practice says you should
ensure your ontology remains available in years to come - so
http://rpc271.cs.man.example.com/~phdstudent5/test/ontology is
probably not so good namespace for other people in the world to rely
on, it might disappear next week.

If an ontology is intended to become mature, then you should register
and use a namespace with a purl from an independent provider, so that
you can later change the redirection if your actual server location
changes. Well known PURL servers are https://purl.org/ and
https://w3id.org/ -- note that each of these take a bit of time to
respond to registration.

--