Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Denis <ji...@respublica.fr> on 2001/12/20 19:31:24 UTC

Velocity poll

Did you notice the poll about Velocity on http://www.servlets.com?

The answer is probably Yes, because it is said to be running since
Nov 27.

Anyway, kuddos to the contributors of Velocity.

-- Denis.

Re: Velocity poll -- off topic

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On 12/20/01 5:46 PM, "Nick Bauman" <ni...@cortexity.com> wrote:

> Geir,
>
> You have a steel-trap mind. Loosen up a little.
>
> Anthony's comment is actually a lot funnier than it looks at first blush.
> Anthony wins many points for subtlty.
>
> As for me, the election in Florida was travesty because of bad technology.

The employment of bad technology and the inability to recover from its
misuse was the travesty. The problem lies in the inability to discern
between a useful technology and one that is useless for a given situation.
Someone (or more likely a committee) decided that some machines could do a
better job than a group of people with a modicum of common sense.

> Something that should be resonant in all of us as engineers. In the years
> to come, managing our world around us from a technological standpoint will
> become more and more important until and eventually some final choice will
> decide our fate as a species.

I myself hope that the fate of our species is not left blindly in the hands
of technology. I think engineers think far too highly of themselves :-)
If I had to leave the fate of the species to anyone I would pick mothers and
teachers.

> Good or bad technology will make or break
> us.

I think letting ourselves come to think that will make us or break us.

> Like it or not, I believe the work done here on Velocity every day
> plays a role, no matter how small and remote it seems to us now, toward
> that ultimate work.

That I certainly believe. I loved webmacro because I felt that the
dissemination of valuable information lies in the employment of technologies
that lend themselves to ease of use and don't coerce users of the technology
out of their domain. This is why I dislike JSP so much, it's an intrusive
technology that forces users into an unintuitive pattern of use. Velocity is
also intrusive but too a lesser extent.

> It is a race against time and stupidity. We may well here become one equal
> temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will --
> To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

I agree with the sentiment but I don't think a technological product can do
much on its own to better the world. I like Neil Postman's view on the
subject. Here's a little blurb from Technolopy:

http://www.apache.org/~jvanzyl/loving-resistance-fighter.txt

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

Re: Velocity poll -- off topic

Posted by Nick Bauman <ni...@cortexity.com>.
Geir,

You have a steel-trap mind. Loosen up a little.

Anthony's comment is actually a lot funnier than it looks at first blush.
Anthony wins many points for subtlty.

As for me, the election in Florida was travesty because of bad technology.
Something that should be resonant in all of us as engineers. In the years
to come, managing our world around us from a technological standpoint will
become more and more important until and eventually some final choice will
decide our fate as a species. Good or bad technology will make or break
us. Like it or not, I believe the work done here on Velocity every day
plays a role, no matter how small and remote it seems to us now, toward
that ultimate work.

It is a race against time and stupidity. We may well here become one equal
temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will --
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

> On 12/20/01 5:03 PM, "Anthony Eden" <ae...@signaturedomains.com> wrote:
>
>> Geir,
>>
>> Why are you ripping Florida?  I live here and I voted yes.  I suppose
>> I missed the joke.
>
> Sorry - I didn't mean to insult Floridians :)  My grandma is a
> Floridian.
>
> it just seemed that sometimes the process produced votes for people
> that weren't the intended choice - I had West Palm beach in mind when I
> wrote that.
>
> No offence intended...
>
> --
> Geir Magnusson Jr.
> geirm@optonline.net System and Software Consulting
> Be a giant.  Take giant steps.  Do giant things...

Nick Bauman
Cortexity Development
Intellectual Process is more important than
Intellectual Property -- you'll see.
http://www.cortexity.com/

Re: Velocity poll

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

RE: Velocity poll

Posted by Anthony Eden <ae...@signaturedomains.com>.
Geir,

Why are you ripping Florida?  I live here and I voted yes.  I suppose I
missed the joke.

Sincerely,
Anthony Eden

Re: Velocity poll