Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dr Robert Young <rc...@aliconsultants.com> on 2005/06/24 04:04:57 UTC

Sys::Syslog with SA 3.0 and Perl 5.8.7?

I have Perl 5.8.3 installed.  I am going to be installing SA 2.6, and
then perform an upgrade to SA 3.0 as part of a test before attempting a
"real" upgrade on an existing production system.

I noted in O'Reilly's Spamassassin book that Sys::Syslog is listed as
being required. I also saw this on another www source regarding SA
3.0.1 specifically.

So when using CPAN to get Sys::Syslog with Perl 5.8.3, it states that
it requires Perl 5.8.7 as a depedancy.

Just checking to be sure that the later version of Perl is needed if
one is intending to use SA 2.6 and/or 3.0 with sendmail? If Perl needs
to be updated as well, then additional testing is going to be needed as
Perl gets used in other places "besides" the SA tool.

Re: Sys::Syslog with SA 3.0 and Perl 5.8.7?

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Dr Robert Young wrote on Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:04:57 -0400:

> So when using CPAN to get Sys::Syslog with Perl 5.8.3, it states that
> it requires Perl 5.8.7 as a depedancy.
>
> Just checking to be sure that the later version of Perl is needed if
> one is intending to use SA 2.6 and/or 3.0 with sendmail?

SA doesn't need it. It's the module which seems to need it. Looks like
version 0.6 wants that Perl version because it's only available as part of
the Perl core distribution. Try installing an earlier version directly
from a tar.gz file. I wonder why it's not part of your Perl distribution.
Are you sure it's not installed?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany