Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Chris Stockton <ch...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/16 00:25:59 UTC

Re: Thoughts on server wide replication

Hello,

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Chris Stockton
<ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was thinking if there was a server wide replication we could support
> many more users. Currently we are at a few thousand and we are
> starting to feel just the expense of all of the TCP connections and
> replication tasks, the calls to status to monitor that they are
> running etc are getting very expensive and noticeable.

No one has any comments or suggestions on replication scaling for many
databases? Would be much appreciated.

-Chris

Re: Thoughts on server wide replication

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 15:25, Chris Stockton <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Chris Stockton
> <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was thinking if there was a server wide replication we could support
>> many more users. Currently we are at a few thousand and we are
>> starting to feel just the expense of all of the TCP connections and
>> replication tasks, the calls to status to monitor that they are
>> running etc are getting very expensive and noticeable.
>
> No one has any comments or suggestions on replication scaling for many
> databases? Would be much appreciated.
>
> -Chris

Filipe should chime in. I believe the new replicator in 1.1+ would
share the same set of connections between any two hosts so you should
find that the number of connections used when you're replicating many
many dbs between the same set of hosts is more reasonable going
forward.