Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Joachim Feise <jf...@ics.uci.edu> on 2004/02/25 04:28:44 UTC

svn co problem with specific directory name

With version 1.0 out (congrats, btw), I figured it is time
to get my data from cvs over to svn.
Problem is, I have a directory called "admin" in my cvs
repository.
cvs2svn handles it fine, and svnadmin dump also shows that
it is there in the repository.
svn checkout, though, fails to get the directory:
(~/tmp): svn co https://localhost/svn/test/trunk/admin admin

svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/test/trunk/admin'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/test/trunk/admin': 410 Gone (https://localhost)

I dumped the repository, changed the directory to admin-old,
and got the same error.
I then changed the directory to cvsadmin, and that works:
(~/tmp): svn co https://localhost/svn/test/trunk/cvsadmin admin

A  admin/...
Checked out revision 108.

What gives? Is the name "admin" reserved?

-Joe

Re: svn co problem with specific directory name

Posted by Joachim Feise <jf...@ics.uci.edu>.
subversion@millenix.mailshell.com said  on 2/25/2004 4:18:

> Take a look at your Apache conf files. 'admin' is a directory name
> common on worm-susceptible IIS hosts, and is often redirected to Gone on
> Apache hosts so that they don't make a mess in the error logs. I suspect
> you just need to adjust the match patterns so that it only picks up
> admin at the root, not anywhere in the path.

Doh. Should have had that idea myself ;-)
Thanks.

Posted by su...@millenix.mailshell.com.
Joachim Feise wrote:
> With version 1.0 out (congrats, btw), I figured it is time
> to get my data from cvs over to svn.
> Problem is, I have a directory called "admin" in my cvs
> repository.
> cvs2svn handles it fine, and svnadmin dump also shows that
> it is there in the repository.
> svn checkout, though, fails to get the directory:
> (~/tmp): svn co https://localhost/svn/test/trunk/admin admin
>
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/test/trunk/admin'
> svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/test/trunk/admin': 410 Gone (https://localhost)
>
> I dumped the repository, changed the directory to admin-old,
> and got the same error.
> I then changed the directory to cvsadmin, and that works:
> (~/tmp): svn co https://localhost/svn/test/trunk/cvsadmin admin
>
> A  admin/...
> Checked out revision 108.
>
> What gives? Is the name "admin" reserved?

Take a look at your Apache conf files. 'admin' is a directory name common on
worm-susceptible IIS hosts, and is often redirected to Gone on Apache hosts
so that they don't make a mess in the error logs. I suspect you just need to
adjust the match patterns so that it only picks up admin at the root, not
anywhere in the path.

Philip Miller