Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "J. Bakshi" <jo...@infoservices.in> on 2009/09/29 14:00:09 UTC

[users@httpd] apache2 vhst problem -- Symbolic link not allowed

Hello list,

I have a typical problem in my apache2 server running on opensuse 11
server.  I like to add the Followsymlinks option in vhost. Previously I
put the setting in .htaccess and it was running fine. But to get the
performance benefit  I move the settings in the  vhost configuration.
To enable symlinks I put

`````````````````````
 <Directory "/srv/www/htdocs/muydomain.com/">

Options -Indexes +FollowSymLinks

# .htaccess slows down apache; only use it when required #
AllowOverride All
Options None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all

</Directory>
```````````````````````````````````

I have restarted apache but still I can't access the site. log reports

``````````````
Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible
``````````````````

Though everything runs well if I put the symlinks option in .htaccess
Any clue ?
Thanks

Re: [users@httpd] apache2 vhst problem -- Symbolic link not allowed

Posted by "J. Bakshi" <jo...@infoservices.in>.
Tom Evans wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 17:30 +0530, J. Bakshi wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I have a typical problem in my apache2 server running on opensuse 11
>> server.  I like to add the Followsymlinks option in vhost. Previously I
>> put the setting in .htaccess and it was running fine. But to get the
>> performance benefit  I move the settings in the  vhost configuration.
>> To enable symlinks I put
>>
>> `````````````````````
>>  <Directory "/srv/www/htdocs/muydomain.com/">
>>
>> Options -Indexes +FollowSymLinks
>>
>> # .htaccess slows down apache; only use it when required #
>> AllowOverride All
>> Options None
>> Order allow,deny
>> Allow from all
>>
>> </Directory>
>> ```````````````````````````````````
>>
>> I have restarted apache but still I can't access the site. log reports
>>
>> ``````````````
>> Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible
>> ``````````````````
>>
>> Though everything runs well if I put the symlinks option in .htaccess
>> Any clue ?
>> Thanks
>>

> You're setting Options twice for that directory, the first time removing
> Indexes and adding FollowSymLinks, and the second removing all options.
> See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#options

Thanks a lot for your response. I have changed the .htaccess part as

# .htaccess slows down apache; only use it when required #
AllowOverride All
#Options None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all

and now no problem with symlinks.  Hope it does not effect .htaccess

thanks

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.