Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Greg Hill <gr...@RACKSPACE.COM> on 2016/03/03 21:26:18 UTC

How do outsiders actually get stuff committed?

I've had mixed results getting patches into Ambari, so I'd like to know how to go about it better.  In some cases, it's been my fault because I didn't submit it the right way, or the tests didn't pass for some reason.  I've reached out for help to get a working test environment to reproduce failures, and not really gotten much help.  Does someone have a working setup that can run the full test suite on a Mac?  Can you document that process please?  The Wiki instructions to use docker didn't work out.  The tests ran for more than a day before I finally just killed them.  I can mvn test against some of the subfolders like ambari-agent, but others die with inscrutable errors.  For example, ambari-client fails with an error message about not finding ambari-groovy-client in the maven repo (uh, it's what you're testing locally, why are you trying to find it in the repo?).  It's probably an environment issue, but the error tells me nothing useful, and when I asked previously about it, nobody replied.

Apart from those issues, some patches just sit there without feedback.

I have a very simple change to ambari-agent that's been sitting for almost 2 months with only 1 "ship it": https://reviews.apache.org/r/42031/

I have another related ambari-server patch that has no feedback at all: https://reviews.apache.org/r/42032/  Admittedly, I need to add tests there, but there was no existing coverage to add to and I don't know Java well enough to start from nothing to add them.

I'm hoping my most recent one can get some more eyeballs, since I addressed all the feedback I got so far:  https://reviews.apache.org/r/44285/ Hopefully it doesn't end up festering as well.

So, yeah, if you have any advice for someone who isn't a committer to effectively get their changes in, please pass it along.  Do I just need to know who to assign the reviews to or something?  Is there a list somewhere for reference?  I got a couple names yesterday on the mailing list, but reviewboard didn't seem to have them in the list, so I couldn't assign them.

Thanks for any advice.

Greg

Re: How do outsiders actually get stuff committed?

Posted by Alejandro Fernandez <af...@hortonworks.com>.
Dev mailing list doesn't allow attachments. I've uploaded my shell script
here
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0By8U4hLO7mEBQ2dvNVBHSHJTTkk&usp=sha
ring

Thanks,