Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Amit Rana <am...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/20 12:23:04 UTC

Spark dev-setup

Hi all,

I am interested  in figuring out how pyspark works at core/internal level.
And  would like to understand the code flow as well.
For that I need to run a simple  example  in debug mode so that I can trace
the data flow for pyspark.
Can anyone please guide me on how do I set up my development environment
for the same in intellij IDEA in Windows 7.

Thanks,
Amit Rana

Re: Spark dev-setup

Posted by Nishadi Kirielle <nd...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for the guidelines.
I could successfully configure and debug

Re: Spark dev-setup

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@japila.pl>.

Re: Spark dev-setup

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Spark dev-setup

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@japila.pl>.
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> I'd recommend

...which I mostly agree to with some exceptions :)

> -stark spark standalone from there

Why spark standalone since the OP asked about "learning how query
execution flow occurs in Spark SQL"? How about spark-shell in local
mode? Possibly explain(true) + conf/log4j.properties as the code might
get tricky to get right at the very beginning.

#justcurious

Jacek

Re: Spark dev-setup

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 24 Aug 2016, at 07:10, Nishadi Kirielle <nd...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi,
I'm engaged in learning how query execution flow occurs in Spark SQL. In order to understand the query execution flow, I'm attempting to run an example in debug mode with intellij IDEA. It would be great if anyone can help me with debug configurations.

I'd recommend

-check out the version of spark you want to use
-set breakpoints wherever you want
-use dev/make-distribution.sh to build the release in dist/
-stark spark standalone from there
-attach to it in the IDE debugger

submit the work/type in queries in the REPL

this gives you the full launch with the complete classpath and env setup.

Otherwise: pull it out into a junit test and try to use IDEAs test runner to run it.

Re: Spark dev-setup

Posted by Nishadi Kirielle <nd...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I'm engaged in learning how query execution flow occurs in Spark SQL. In
order to understand the query execution flow, I'm attempting to run an
example in debug mode with intellij IDEA. It would be great if anyone can
help me with debug configurations.

Thanks & Regards
Nishadi

Re: Spark dev-setup