Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Robert S. Thau" <rs...@ai.mit.edu> on 1995/03/01 00:45:50 UTC

Re: expires and doit

   From: Nicolas Pioch <pi...@email.enst.fr>
   Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 22:57:22 +0100 (MET)

   Can we elaborate a way to generate "Expire" mime headers for documents
   outsite of cgi scripts ?

The CERN server has a feature in which file.ext.meta can contain extra
MIME headers which are shipped out when a client GETs file.ext.
That's not necessarily the best way to do it, but it is a way.

(Gopher servers have traditionally had a fairly elaborate structure of
files containing metainformation.  It has its advantages, but
maintaining the structure has become to be a serious problem for
administrators of gopher sites.  At least the .meta business is
optional, and doesn't get in your way if you don't need it).

   Also, can the presence of .doit only be checked if the basename file
   does not exist, to avoid the overhead of a stat() for each document ?

That's the way it currently works (though it checks for .doit anyway
if the URL had ?query+args appended to it).  Right now, there is a
redundant evaluage_access if *.doit is invoked, but that should be
very easy to suppress.  (I would have done it by now if it showed up
as a big deal on my profiles, but it didn't).

   Cheese
   -- Nicolas

rst