Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2006/12/06 01:42:20 UTC

DConfigBean Confusion

I'm trying to straighten out some classpath problems with the
deployment code and dconfigbeans and am pretty confused about some of
the code.

The main thing I'm confused about is that in the geronimo-connector-
builder module there seem to be two partial sets of DConfigBeans, in
dconfigbean and in jsr88.  There's some overlap... and a bunch of big
differences.  It looks to me as if the console is using the stuff in
jsr88 to build connector plans.

Does anyone know what is going on here and which is more correct?
Does the connector 1.0 stuff in dconfigbean work?  I think we should
try to get all these consistent and in one directory.  It would also
be great to have the console support deploying connector 1.0 rars....
there's at least one (jaybird) that is only available as a 1.0
connector.

---------------------

There's another longstanding problem with dconfigbeans which is that
they've never been able to work from any reasonable standalone
situation, such as the spec scenario where you get them from a
DeploymentManager.createConfiguration call since you'd need a large
fraction of the geronimo server on the classpath to make it work.  I
think that any solution for this is going to have to use the geronimo
repository since thats where the zillion jars needed are and are
likely to stay.  So, I think we have to start a kernel and load a
configuration and have the Configurers register  with something that
the DeploymentManagers can get at.

Anyone have a better idea?

thanks
david jencks

Re: DConfigBean Confusion

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi David, I spent a lot of time looking at all the various module and configuration builders when I
was getting Sachin's new deployable module interface to work with the Release 1.1.1 source code. I
ran into similar problems and/or questions with many of the builders because it is so difficult to
figure out who is doing what when and why. The best way that I could figure out what was going on
during runtime was to capture JProbe traces for many of the deployment scenarios and look through
the call traces (our logging/trace capability should really provide this level of information, but
unfortunately it does not). I saved some of them and an example snapshot is attached if you are
interested (you can see that ConnectorModuleBuilder is getting invoked numerous times I believe by
the FastMethodInvoker.invoke() method). That really doesn't help answer your first question (other
than the fact that it's getting invoked--whether it's working correctly is another story) but if
you'd like for me to get some new snapshots for some new console and CLI deployment scenarios I'd be
glad to and it might help clear up some of this confusion. I know it was very confusing for me to
look through the code and attempt to figure it out. Thanks
Tim