Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Sean Godsell <mo...@gmail.com> on 2020/12/12 01:40:36 UTC

pyarrow no arm builds, and errors when building

Hello Maintainers,

I noticed that you have lots of x86 AMD, and Intel builds, but you have no
ARM or aarch64 builds for pyarrow.  When I type in the command "pip3
install pyarrow", then I notice it downloads the pyarrow-2.0.0 source code,
and it will attempt to build the pyarrow package.   However the build is
unsuccessful, and it ends in error.   I am using a Lenovo Duet Chromebook,
which has a MediaTek Helio P60T 8 core ARM based SoC.   There are 4
Cortex-A73 cores, and 4 Cortex-A53 cores.

uname -a
Linux penguin 5.4.67-09356-gf3ed4c0c4a31 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Sep 27 20:30:52
PDT 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

pip3 install pyarrow
(ends with)
  -- Could NOT find Arrow (missing: Arrow_DIR)
  -- Checking for module 'arrow'
  --   No package 'arrow' found
  CMake Error at
/usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137
(message):
    Could NOT find Arrow (missing: ARROW_INCLUDE_DIR ARROW_LIB_DIR
    ARROW_FULL_SO_VERSION ARROW_SO_VERSION)
  Call Stack (most recent call first):
    /usr/share/cmake-3.13/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378
(_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
    cmake_modules/FindArrow.cmake:419 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
    cmake_modules/FindArrowPython.cmake:46 (find_package)
    CMakeLists.txt:215 (find_package)

I then installed the arrow package using the following command
pip3 install arrow

and everthing is fine for that package, but when I rerun the
pip3 install pyarrow

The error message is the same as above.  What seems to be going on with
this package?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Sean.

Re: pyarrow no arm builds, and errors when building

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.
I would recommend going the conda-forge route for obtaining aarch64
binary packages. Otherwise, you will want to follow the Python
build-from-source instructions in our documentation.

If you want "pip install pyarrow" to work without a wheel available
(i.e. build from source), you will have to install the matching
version of the C++ library first.

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

The source build failure is a known issue:
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-10777

We'll fix it in the next release.
I'll automate sdist generation and fix python/cmake_modules/
related problems.

FYI: "arrow" PyPI package isn't related to Apache Arrow. You
don't need to install it.

kou

In <CA...@mail.gmail.com>
  "pyarrow no arm builds, and errors when building" on Fri, 11 Dec 2020 20:40:36 -0500,