Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by ma...@iiitmk.ac.in on 2002/01/23 19:00:57 UTC

Folders for web mail

Hi,
For my project I need to implement a web-mail client which provides folders (like sent mail, Trash) support (just like IMAP). Also I need to be able to programatically add/delete users as well as implement mailing lists, rules like Outlook. Further the solution should work on all platforms :) (Win* and Linux)
The ideal solution would have been an IMAP server written in Java (or a server with binaries and APIs for Windows and Linux) - but I cant find one such !
The other way I can think of is to use JAMES . Managing users with Java , mailing list implementation is still possible but the difficulty is to provide folders support as JAMES doesnt provide IMAP support.
One way I can think of is to use a JavaMail provider (e.g POPpers) which provides folders /local store support for POP servers along with JAMES !

Any suggestions/comments ?

With regards
manjul
P.S - I am sending this mail through our web-mail client only ;)

Manjul Sahay
Technology Team
Transversal E Networks (TEN)
INDIA

RE: Folders for web mail

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
> For my project I need to implement a web-mail client which
> provides folders (like sent mail, Trash) support (just like
> IMAP). Also I need to be able to programatically add/delete users
> as well as implement mailing lists, rules like Outlook. Further
> the solution should work on all platforms :) (Win* and Linux)
> The ideal solution would have been an IMAP server written in Java
> (or a server with binaries and APIs for Windows and Linux) - but
> I cant find one such !
> The other way I can think of is to use JAMES . Managing users
> with Java , mailing list implementation is still possible but the
> difficulty is to provide folders support as JAMES doesnt provide
> IMAP support.
> One way I can think of is to use a JavaMail provider (e.g
> POPpers) which provides folders /local store support for POP
> servers along with JAMES !
>
> Any suggestions/comments ?

Sounds like you have a good plan already!
There are no immediate plans to add webmail to James.
You could also look at the james code in CVS which contains an IMAP
proposal.

d.