Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by DB Tsai <d_...@apple.com> on 2018/11/06 19:23:59 UTC

Test and support only LTS JDK release?

Given Oracle's new 6-month release model, I feel the only realistic option is to only test and support JDK such as JDK 11 LTS and future LTS release. I would like to have a discussion on this in Spark community.

Thanks,

DB Tsai  |  Siri Open Source Technologies [not a contribution]  |   Apple, Inc

Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?

Posted by Tom Graves <tg...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 +1 seems reasonable at this point.
Tom

Posted by Stavros Kontopoulos <st...@lightbend.com>.
Red Hat:
https://access.redhat.com/articles/1299013#OpenJDK_Lifecycle_Dates_and_RHEL_versions

Stavros

Posted by Kazuaki Ishizaki <IS...@jp.ibm.com>.

From:   Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com.INVALID>
To:     Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>
Cc:     Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com>, snazy@snazy.de, dev
<de...@spark.apache.org>, Cesar Delgado <cd...@apple.com>
Date:   2018/11/07 08:29
Subject:        Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?

--
Marcelo

Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

--
Marcelo

Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?

Posted by Robert Stupp <sn...@snazy.de>.

--
Robert Stupp
@snazy

Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?

Posted by DB Tsai <d_...@apple.com>.
OpenJDK will follow Oracle's release cycle, https://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/ <https://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/>, a strict six months model. I'm not familiar with other non-Oracle VMs and Redhat support.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1, that's always been my view.

Although, to be fair, and as Sean mentioned, the jump from jdk8 is
probably the harder part. After that it's less likely (hopefully?)
that we'll run into issues in non-LTS releases. And even if we don't
officially support them, trying to keep up with breaking changes might
make it easier to support the following LTS.

(Just as an example, both jdk9 and jdk10 are already EOL.)