Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com> on 2008/04/18 22:24:03 UTC

RE: Large HTML file not getting compressed despite compressionenabled

> From: Alex Epshteyn [mailto:alexander.epshteyn@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Large HTML file not getting compressed despite
> compressionenabled
>
> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProcessor:1504:
>         response.getContentLengthLong() returns 4,
> instead of the true file size, making it appear
> lower than the minimum compression threshold.

Just for grins, have you tried it without APR in the mix?

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Large HTML file not getting compressed despite compressionenabled

Posted by DIGLLOYD INC <di...@diglloyd.com>.
Well, I'm not using APR, just the default connector.

And I cannot get Tomcat to ever compress an HTML or text file of any
size.  It's as if it completely ignores the setting.

    <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
                connectionTimeout="20000"
                redirectPort="8443" compression="on" />

I've tried small medium and large html and text files, and it doesn't
matte whether I set compression to "on", "1024", etc. It just doesn't
work!

I've verified that it doesn't work by checking the amount of data
actually transferred over the network.

Lloyd

On Apr 19, 2008, at 8:50 AM, Alex Epshteyn wrote:

> I thought about trying without APR, but wasn't sure how to disable
> it (on
> Linux).
>
> Anyways, I've worked around this problem by implementing my own
> filter that
> serves up a pre-gzipped version of the files that aren't getting
> compressed.
>
> Alex
>

> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>
>>> From: Alex Epshteyn [mailto:alexander.epshteyn@gmail.com]
>>> Subject: Re: Large HTML file not getting compressed despite
>>> compressionenabled
>>>
>>> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProcessor:1504:
>>>        response.getContentLengthLong() returns 4,
>>> instead of the true file size, making it appear
>>> lower than the minimum compression threshold.
>>
>> Just for grins, have you tried it without APR in the mix?
>>
>> - Chuck

Lloyd Chambers
http://diglloyd.com

[Mac OS X 10.5.2 Intel, Tomcat 6.0.16]

RE: Large HTML file not getting compressed despitecompressionenabled

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Alex Epshteyn [mailto:alexander.epshteyn@gmail.com]
> Subject: RE: Large HTML file not getting compressed
> despitecompressionenabled
>
> I thought about trying without APR, but wasn't sure how to
> disable it (on Linux).

Just rename the .so file or take it out of the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Posted by Alex Epshteyn <al...@gmail.com>.