Posted to user@hive.apache.org by "second_comet@yahoo.com" <se...@yahoo.com> on 2022/05/20 06:54:23 UTC

time travel using hive cli

Hive server is configured to read delta lake folder from cloud storage. I able to select * from tabletest using hive cli. But when I try

describe history tabletest

i get below error
Error: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: SemanticException [Error 10001]: Table not found history (state=42S02,code=10001)
I also cannot execute SELECT count(*) FROM tabletest VERSION AS OF 1

Does anyone faced similar issue? I do not use Databrick. Does hive cli/Beeline support above sql syntax?

Re: time travel using hive cli

Posted by Peter Vary <pv...@cloudera.com>.
Delta did not contribute their code to the repo, so I think there are no plans to support this in the future in Apache Hive.

Posted by "second_comet@yahoo.com" <se...@yahoo.com>.

 Time travel for Hive is only for Iceberg tables: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-25344The syntax is:SELECT * FROM t FOR SYSTEM_TIME AS OF <timestamp>;

Posted by Peter Vary <pv...@cloudera.com>.