Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org> on 2007/01/05 11:56:55 UTC

source and line number info in stack traces

Currently we don't have debug info in our classes when building using
Ant. To help our users who use the binary distribution debug problems
themselves, I propose we add debug="true" and
debuglevel="vars,lines,source" attributes to all javac tasks in our
build.xml files.

In fact I have the change ready to check in, so will do that. If
anyone feels strongly enough (!) we can back it out.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Re: source and line number info in stack traces

Posted by Arthur Ryman <ry...@ca.ibm.com>.
+1

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

"Jeremy Hughes" <hu...@apache.org>
Sent by: jpjhughes@gmail.com
01/05/2007 05:56 AM
Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
+1. This works for me.

Lawrence

"Jeremy Hughes" <hu...@apache.org>
Sent by: jpjhughes@gmail.com
01/08/2007 02:06 PM
Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: source and line number info in stack traces

Sounds good.

On 08/01/07, Arthur Ryman <ry...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

Jeremy,

For simplicity, why not just have one set of class files that contain
debug info? If people think it's bloated, they can rebuild from source.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

"Jeremy Hughes" <hu...@apache.org>
Sent by: jpjhughes@gmail.com
01/08/2007 12:40 PM

Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: source and line number info in stack traces

Hi Arthur,

On 08/01/07, Arthur Ryman <ry...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> Yes, Eclipse does. Also, maybe Apache projects have binary and source
distributions. Personally, I think the debug info is a minor contribution
to the size, and it useful at runtime too since it helps in diagnosing
problems. The source is a bigger contribution and is not needed at
runtime.

Woden already has a source distribution as well as the binary
distribution. What I meant was do projects really have two binary
distributions - one compiled using -g:none and one compiled with
-g:source,lines (and maybe vars too). I haven't seen any. I can't find
much about any performance impact this would cause. Just compiling our
QName class:

-g:none -> 2275 bytes
-g:source -> 2309 bytes
-g:lines -> 2573 bytes Actually I'm not sure that -g:lines (without
source) is any use
-g:source,lines -> 2607 bytes
-g:vars -> 2737 bytes
-g:source,vars,lines -> 3069 bytes

Note: of course none of these includes the actual source code in the
.class files.

Looking at the woden-1.0-incubating-M6.jar as a whole is:
-g:none 241320
-g:lines,source 269285
-g:lines,source,vars 301800

Given this, I still vote for the last option (and if pushed just
lines,source) as I have used binary distros before and attached the
source and then found I couldn't see inside the variables (got
annoyed), and ended up having the extract the source for the project.

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
Sounds good.

Posted by Arthur Ryman <ry...@ca.ibm.com>.
Jeremy,

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi Arthur,

Posted by Arthur Ryman <ry...@ca.ibm.com>.
Jeremy,

Yes, Eclipse does. Also, maybe Apache projects have binary and source
distributions. Personally, I think the debug info is a minor contribution
to the size, and it useful at runtime too since it helps in diagnosing
problems. The source is a bigger contribution and is not needed at
runtime.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

"Jeremy Hughes" <hu...@apache.org>
Sent by: jpjhughes@gmail.com
01/08/2007 10:48 AM
Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: source and line number info in stack traces

On 08/01/07, Arthur Ryman <ry...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> I think we should create two packages:
>
> 1. A binary distribution for runtime use.
> 2. An SDK version for development use. This has class files compiled
with debug information and source code so people can do source level
debugging.

Is this something other projects do in general. I didn't think it was
such a big performance drain. I guess I should back that up with some
data, but can't find any immediately.

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arthur Ryman <ry...@ca.ibm.com>.
+1

I think we should create two packages:

1. A binary distribution for runtime use.
2. An SDK version for development use. This has class files compiled with
debug information and source code so people can do source level debugging.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca

Lawrence Mandel/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
01/07/2007 11:21 PM
Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: source and line number info in stack traces

Jeremy,

Does adding this debug info have any performance repercussions at runtime?

If so, perhaps long term we should build two sets of jars for releases.

Lawrence

"Jeremy Hughes" <hu...@apache.org>
Sent by: jpjhughes@gmail.com
01/05/2007 05:56 AM
Please respond to
woden-dev@ws.apache.org

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject

Posted by Graham Turrell <GT...@uk.ibm.com>.
+1. OK the footprint is slightly bigger (eg. ~50% on the main jars) but
we're a very small footprint to begin with.

Kind Regards,

Graham.

             "Jeremy Hughes"
             <hughesj@apache.o
             rg>                                                        To
             Sent by:                  woden-dev@ws.apache.org
             jpjhughes@gmail.c                                          cc
             om
                                                                   Subject