Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Naama Kraus <na...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/06 10:48:49 UTC

HBase for small data sets

Hi,

Will HBase work reasonably for small data sets ? E.g. for 10s or 100s of
Gigas of data? Would it make sense to use HBase to store and access them ?

I was thinking HDFS and M/R have a overhead thus won't perform well for
small amounts of data. But say I use HBase w/o MapReduce (get, set, scan
only) and use local file system underneath, will I get reasonable
performance ? E.g. as opposed to using an RDBMS such as Apache Derby or
MySQL ? (Note that I am not thinking on having complicated relational
operations, or complicated schemes, but mainly a need in a key-value store).

Thanks, Naama
--
oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo
00 oo 00 oo

Re: HBase for small data sets

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@yahoo.com>.
Also there are other distributed filesystems than Hadoop DFS
supported by the Hadoop FS abstraction layer, such as KFS.
(Are the IBM Almaden folks running HBase on KFS?) So depending
on the random read performance of the underlying file system
query response times will differ, and maybe improve over that
achievable when running on top of HDFS.

   - Andy

Re: HBase for small data sets

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.