Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Rademacher Tobias <To...@grob.de> on 2003/09/10 09:54:01 UTC

Handling of External Plugins (was: J2ME plugins)

Hi James,

> We are moving away from accepting every and all plugins for
> distribution
> with Maven. Some changes have taken place in the core that will allow
> the distribution of plugins apart from Maven.
>
> Even right now it is not that hard to package up plugins for
> your users
> and the 1.0 release will support the use of external plugins.
>
> As of now I would like to place a moritorium on the inclusion of more
> plugins with the core and we should start pushing them more of the
> plugins out of the core distribution before the 1.0 release.

Where should we submit new plugins? Will you create a new seperate project
providing cvs support?
What about http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/? Will non-core plugins
removed from cvs without have the chance to save them? Altought I'm
appreciate the seperation of core and non-core plugins, I guess this could
be dangerous as some users rely on some plugins in there build processes.
Can you explain the perspectives of the plugin distribution mechanism? Will
it be similar to the update manager in Eclipse?

Questions about question. I'm curious. :-)

Bye & Thx
Toby

Re: Handling of External Plugins (was: J2ME plugins)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 03:54, Rademacher Tobias wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> > We are moving away from accepting every and all plugins for
> > distribution
> > with Maven. Some changes have taken place in the core that will allow
> > the distribution of plugins apart from Maven.
> >
> > Even right now it is not that hard to package up plugins for
> > your users
> > and the 1.0 release will support the use of external plugins.
> >
> > As of now I would like to place a moritorium on the inclusion of more
> > plugins with the core and we should start pushing them more of the
> > plugins out of the core distribution before the 1.0 release.
>
> Where should we submit new plugins? Will you create a new seperate project
> providing cvs support?

Sure, we could certainly make room for any one at codehaus or
sourceforge. Ultimately it won't matter where you develop, the plugins
will just be pulled from repository like an artifact with some special
handling for installation.

> What about http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/? Will non-core plugins
> removed from cvs without have the chance to save them?

We're not going to erase anything. But I myself have started moving
plugins that I'm responsible for out of Maven's CVS. The plexus plugin
was the first one I moved. People who are interested in Plexus can
install the plugin themselves for now and when the internal mechanism
works even better.

> Altought I'm
> appreciate the seperation of core and non-core plugins, I guess this could
> be dangerous as some users rely on some plugins in there build processes.

After 1.0 what is considered core will stay core. Some slight
adjustments will have to be made but the core is not going to grow ad
infinitum.

> Can you explain the perspectives of the plugin distribution mechanism? Will
> it be similar to the update manager in Eclipse?

Just be another artifact type, Maven sees it and will know it's a plugin
from the type and do some special handling.

> Questions about question. I'm curious. :-)

Future versions of Maven will have a more interactive setup for plugins.

> Bye & Thx
> Toby

jvz.

Jason van Zyl