Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Vadim Zaliva <kr...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/23 23:31:03 UTC

realtime hadoop

Hi!

I am considering using Hadoop for (almost) realime data processing. I
have data coming every second and I would like to use hadoop cluster
to process
it as fast as possible. I need to be able to maintain some guaranteed
max. processing time, for example under 3 minutes.

Does anybody have experience with using Hadoop in such manner? I will
appreciate if you can share your experience or give me pointers
to some articles or pages on the subject.

Vadim

Re: realtime hadoop

Posted by "Ian Holsman (Lists)" <li...@holsman.net>.
Fernando Padilla wrote:
> One use case I have a question about, is using Hadoop to power a web
> search or other query. So the full job should be done in under a second,
> from start to finish.

I don't think you should be using hadoop to answer the results of a
user's search query.
you should be looking at things like SOLR (with the distributed patch),
or CloudDB/Mysql Clusters.

some good research has also been done on this..
see CRUSH by Sage Weil :- www.ssrc.ucsc.edu/Papers/weil-sc06.pdf

or the work on Chord# for wikipedia called 'onscale' :-
http://onscale.de/onscaledb.html

both would be better suited for OLTP type operations I would think.

Re: realtime hadoop

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu>.

Re: realtime hadoop

Posted by Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net>.
On Jun 23, 2008, at 9:54 PM, Matt Kent wrote:

> Unless you have a significant amount of work to be done, I wouldn't
> recommend using Hadoop because it's not worth the overhead of
> launching
> the jobs and moving the data around.

I think part of the tradeoff is having a system that is resilient to
failure against work that must get done, regardless of the amount of
work.

ckw

--
Chris K Wensel
chris@wensel.net

Re: realtime hadoop

Posted by Matt Kent <ma...@persai.com>.
We wrote some custom tools that poll for new data and launch jobs
periodically.

Matt

Re: realtime hadoop

Posted by Vadim Zaliva <kr...@gmail.com>.
Matt,

Re: realtime hadoop

Posted by "Ian Holsman (Lists)" <li...@holsman.net>.
Matt Kent wrote:
> We use Hadoop in a similar manner, to process batches of data in
> real-time every few minutes. However, we do substantial amounts of
> processing on that data, so we use Hadoop to distribute our computation.
> Unless you have a significant amount of work to be done, I wouldn't
> recommend using Hadoop because it's not worth the overhead of launching
> the jobs and moving the data around.

Thanks Matt.

we are boiling the ocean with the data so to speak.. so thats cool.
we are also looking at supplementing the m/r jobs with data coming in
from spread to get the 'instant' analysis parts of our feedback systems.

Regards
Ian

Re: realtime hadoop

Posted by Matt Kent <ma...@persai.com>.

Re: realtime hadoop

Posted by "Ian Holsman (Lists)" <li...@holsman.net>.
Interesting.

Re: realtime hadoop

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Daniel wrote:
>>> Also HDFS might be critical since to access your data you need to close
>> the file
>>
>> Not anymore. Since 0.16 files are readable while being written to.
>
> Does this mean i can open some file as map input and the reduce output ? So
> i can update the files instead of creating new ones.

No files are still write-once in hdfs, you cannot modify a file after it is closed.
But if it is not closed you can still write more data into it, and other clients will
be able to read this new data.

> Also if i want to do query in the records, should i rather use Hbase instead
> of HDFS? - say if we have large size of data stored as (key, value).

HDFS has file system api, there is no notion of a record in it, just files and bytes.
Depending on how you define a record you can use different systems including HBase and Pig.
These two work well for table-like data collections.
Or you can write your own MapReduce job to do processing of a big key-value dataset.

Regards,
--Konstantin

Re: realtime hadoop

Posted by Daniel <d4...@gmail.com>.

Re: realtime hadoop

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: realtime hadoop

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@grabb.it>.
Vadim,

Depending on the nature of your data, CouchDB (http://couchdb.org)
might be worth looking into. It speaks JSON natively, and has
real-time map/reduce support. The 0.8.0 release is imminent (don't
bother with 0.7.2), and the community is active. We're using it for
something similar to what you describe, and it's working well.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com

Re: realtime hadoop

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com>.
Hadoop might be the wrong technology for you.
Map Reduce is a batch processing mechanism. Also HDFS might be
critical since to access your data you need to close the file - means
you might have many small file, a situation where hdfs is not very
strong (namespace is hold in memory).
Hbase might be an interesting tool for you, also zookeeper if you want
to do something home grown...

On Jun 23, 2008, at 11:31 PM, Vadim Zaliva wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am considering using Hadoop for (almost) realime data processing. I
> have data coming every second and I would like to use hadoop cluster
> to process
> it as fast as possible. I need to be able to maintain some guaranteed
> max. processing time, for example under 3 minutes.
>
> Does anybody have experience with using Hadoop in such manner? I will
> appreciate if you can share your experience or give me pointers
> to some articles or pages on the subject.
>
> Vadim

101tec Inc.
Menlo Park, California, USA
http://www.101tec.com