Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> on 2009/08/14 15:52:23 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Allow directive - limitation?

On 14-Aug-2009, at 00:30, Stephen Vaughan wrote:
> Is there a limitation on the number of characters you can have per
> line for
> 'Allow from'?

I don't know about Allow from specifically, but often 'lines' are
limited internally to eithe 255 characters or 1024 characters. Are you
around any of those limits?

> We a couple of hundred ip addresses listed, however we seem to have
> hit a
> limit whereby any new ip addresses added to the line are being
> recognised as
> a new line, and so apache is failing to reload. Do we have to just
> create a
> new line?

There's no reason to have one massive Allow from line when you can
have as many as you want. I tend to group like cases together.

   Allow from 10.0.0.0/8
   Allow from 192.168.211.0/24
   Allow from xx.xx.0.0/16
   Allow from yy.yy.yy.0/24
   Allow from zz.zz.zz.zz

etc

--
Is this the light of a new day dawning? A future bright that you
	can walk in? No, it's just another Monday Morning, do it all