Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu> on 2013/02/15 21:55:17 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduate cTAKES from Incubator

This is to open a discussion to graduate Apache cTAKES podling from the Apache Incubator.

Apache cTAKES entered the Incubator in June of 2012. We have made significant progress with the project since moving over to Apache. We currently have 18 committers listed on our status page at [1] including over 10 which accepted after the podling was formed.

During incubation, cTAKES has :
 * Produced 1 Release
 * Added 10 new Committer/PPMC members and shows constant community activities
 * Cleared IP on code
 * Developed Roadmap(s) for the next major and minor releases in a community process and started working on that [2]
 * The community of Apache cTAKES is active, healthy, and growing and has demonstrated the ability to self-govern using accepted Apache practices.

[1] http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#ctakes
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CTAKES#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aroadmap-panel

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate cTAKES from Incubator

Posted by Andy McMurry <mc...@gmail.com>.
Clarifications

There isn't a last Apache release. But there are last previous NIH, Sourceforge, and Apache releases?
TODO: Project History Page (Simple, just the releases and times, ideally with JIRA generated release notes).

Suggestion: Demonstration > explanation. Use Examples !!

EXAMPLE 1 : Basic Pipeline (without UMLS)

** SHOW Before and after clinical text, demonstrates purpose
** LIST the 5 steps
** Most impressive demo would be the smoking status pipeline

EXAMPLE 2: Basic Pipeline (with UMLS)

** SHOW Before and after (input text -> output annotations)
** LIST the steps
** Most impressive demo would be a negation of a cancer diagnosis and NER of a medication (chemotherapuetic drug).

Thoughts?
--andy

Posted by Andy McMurry <mc...@gmail.com>.
Sure thing Pei.

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Andy,

Posted by "Bleeker, Troy C." <Bl...@mayo.edu>.
+1 to the suggestion
I would take that as far as to say - don't send the official announce until a newcomer has been through it. We all get used to how things are done and can easily miss a hurdle that trips up newcomers. I could be talked out of that, so long as we keep after the doc and get the "under construction" signs removed.

15 minutes may be a stretch considering download of the resources ZIP file can take longer than that. If you eliminate download time from your test then perhaps that can be achieved.

Thanks
Troy

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
You mean it's not as simple as including the below into your maven project ;-)?
https://repository.apache.org/index.html#nexus-search;quick~ctakes

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.apache.ctakes</groupId>
  <artifactId>ctakes</artifactId>
  <version>3.0.0-incubating</version>
</dependency>

 We always welcome new volunteers/developers to help us :)

--Pei

Posted by Andy McMurry <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Britt Fitch <br...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Pei's nomination, release, and graduation.

I understand Andy's preference for getting the user what they want before
they lose interest. That is certainly a goal to strive for. That said, this
project and its typical data requires more time than a javascript lib and I
think that's ok so long as the path is clear for the user. My feeling is
that setup time is less of an issue for me as long as the user isn't head
scratching during that time.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
+1 to graduate cTAKES.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Looking great!

Formatting is kind of wide, so folks may complain about that :)

But I'd say let this sit until early/mid next week and then call a
community VOTE on it pending feedback.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi,

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1, exactly Jörn.

I'm not a huge fan of the bylaws. What I tend to do is to cruft up a
resolution template, e.g,. here's a recent one for Airavata which passed
muster:

 open-source software, for distribution at no charge
 to the public, related to executing and managing
 computational jobs on distributed computing resources
 including local clusters, supercomputers, national grids,
 academic and commercial clouds.

 Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Airavata Project",
 Foundation; and be it further

 RESOLVED, that the Apache Airavata Project be and hereby is
 responsible for the creation and maintenance of  software
 related to executing and managing computational jobs on
 distributed computing resources including local clusters,
 supercomputers, national grids, academic and commercial clouds;
 and be it further

 RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Airavata" be
 and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
 serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
 of the Apache Airavata Project, and to have primary responsibility
[...]

 Incubator Airavata podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu>.

Posted by Andy McMurry <mc...@gmail.com>.
+1 nomination for Pei